Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's Wrong here? full screen games minimize.

• Please log in to reply

Karpador

Karpador

• Pip
  • 6 posts
About a week ago, I reinstalled windows on my computer and since then, it hasn't been acting correctly. I know there is nothing wrong with the disk because it was used on another computer. i have tried reinstalling windows on this computer 2 times and the problem still continues.

I haven't been able to figure out what the problem exactly is, but full screen games minimize and the screen saver won't stay on. this occurs about every 10 minutes.
Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Advertisements

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Any other such behavior? Check with your task manager to view any unwanted programs running in the background.If you don't find any then try Process Explorer and remove any bad programs running.If you find nothing,check at Start>>Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes and check for any startup programs that seem abnormal to you and uncheck them and remove.If that doesn't work too,then check if your keyboard is showing abnormal behavior.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello Karpador: :)

I am not an avid gamer at all, however, provided information is not enough, could you please specify following:

• Which OS you have?
  • Which AV you are using?
  • Firewall?

Karpador

Karpador

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I dont know enough about computers to see anything wrong with it myself.

well its not only games, like i said my screensaver goes away as well. it happens with anything in true full screen, not windowed mode.
I have windows XP and no antivirus at the moment cause i thought that's what the problem was. i only have whatever firewall windows comes with.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
You said that this occurs every ten minutes.So it might be due to some malware.
And yes do you have Skype installed?

Karpador

Karpador

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I know for a fact that it's not malware. My friend installed windows for me and then he gave me the programs i would need- so my computer was set up with out downloading anything from the internet. i then installed the sims 3 and noticed it kept minimizing on me. I soon noticed it does this with anything full screen including making the screen saver go away. In those included programs, i had AVG, but heard that could be the problem so i removed it.

No, i do not have skype installed.

Edited by Karpador, 24 June 2011 - 12:05 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Try updating your video card's drivers.

Karpador

Karpador

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Try updating your video card's drivers.

hmm.. I have the newest.. but maybe there's a problem there. I'll see if i can down grade and if that will work.

Karpador

Karpador

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried 4 different versions, including what i had before the computer was formatted and the newest version. with all of them, the problem still occurs.

Karpador

Karpador

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
bumping...