Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WindowsXPSP3, no sysconfig, no recovery console, no access to CD or US

• Please log in to reply

Axtan

Axtan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Need help.

I have a WinXPSP3 that started crashing after 15Jun M/S Windows Updates and Nvidia GE Force 7900 driver updates. Crashes characterized by pixeled boxes on screen, then computer stops working and display goes to power saving mode. Restored once in safe mode to pre-15 June and computer worked for 2 days and crashed again. Restored 2nd time in safe mode to early June and comptuer crashed immediately. Attempted to reload OS in Safe Mode and computer now fails to start at all. Displays missing config system files. Refuses to recognize the original OS CD in the drive or an OS download on USB Stick regardless of selections in the BIOS under the F-12 key. I have disconnected all other external USB hardware except mouse and keyboard and system still does not restart. As it does not recoginze the CD Drive or USB Stick, I cannot get to the Recovery Console to assist in getting it to work. Would welcome any further guidance that is out there as to how to proceed from here. Warmest Regards, Axtan

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try resetting the CMOS.

Power off.
Unplug power cord
Remove CMOS battery
Press and hold power button for 10 seconds
Put battery back
Connect power cord
Power up

You should get a CMOS configuration error, Press F1 for setup, F2 to Continue.
Press F1.

In Setup, load defaults, set date and time, setup boot priority and any other changes you want then save them and exit.

See if it boots now.