Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq wont start up..

• Please log in to reply

egyptgrl

egyptgrl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have a 2008 compaq.6months ago i tried to turn on and it wouldnt boot up.fans going side lights flashing but blank screen.obviously im no computer expert.just a single mum who knows very little,has computer illiterate friends and cant afford a repair job.if anyone has any simple tricks my little boy and id be most appreciative..especially when we have to use my housemates old old old desktop apple mac.thank you!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Computers that have been sitting around for awhile can get knocked and banged around. I would open the side panel and make sure all the wires are connected and that a family of critters or creepy-crawly things have not moved in. Also, computers that have been sitting around for awhile some times have parts "borrowed" from them - like RAM (your memory sticks).

A power supply has to produce +12V, +5V and +3.3V. Fans and lights run off the 12V. But at this point, we don't know if the other voltages are being produced. I always want to start from the beginning by ensuring I have good power. So I start by swapping in a spare, known good PSU (power supply unit). If do not have one, or cannot borrow one, most repair shops will test PSUs for a nominal fee.

But, before spending money, I would swap monitors to make sure it is not your monitor that is failing to come on.

Other than that, I am afraid it could be a number of things, which makes troubleshooting harder. This could be caused by bad RAM, bad CPU or even a bad motherboard.

Do you know why the computer was set aside for so long?