Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with my Inspiron 5100 ...Too slow

• Please log in to reply

Brujo

Brujo

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've been helped on the Malware forum this is the link http://www.geekstogo...-inspiron-5100/
but no rootkits were found, which is what i thought my computer was infected with. Still too slow. I recently made a fresh clean installation of windows like 4 times and it takes too long to load windows and connect to internet. Sometimes the keyboard and mouse touchpad don't work. Any advice please will be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Having the specs of your laptop would help to know if it is still up to par for the ever demanding programs of today.

By default the Dell Inspiron 5100 was sold with only 256mb of ram which is really only good to run windows with the bare minimum so as soon as you add programs it starts to slow down.
Also how much free space do you have on your Hard Disk it should be 15% of the total capacity (so if your HD is 100gb you need 15gb free)

You might check your other hardware to see if they are still working properly.

Check your ram by using MEMTEST86 (burn it as a boot cd)
Check your Hard Disk by downloading the utility program of your HD manufacturer and burn it as a boot cd and test your HD

Also the Dell Inspiron 5100 is not a new laptop and unless you already had it cleaned it may be dirty inside making the processor heat up more and that will make it work slower.

Brujo

Brujo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I bought it around 2003 , so it's a little old ( just a little old :), not too much ) I have 384 of RAM and I think that the max is just 1G . Right now I don't have any programs installed. I know it's not new but it shouldn't have this problem. I re-installed windows 3 times ( clean install) updated all patches and sp2 and sp3 too. But takes for ever to load and once it does IE is too slow. It takes around 2 - 3 min for the wireless to detect a connection.

I already cleaned the fan , the heat sink and even the CPU and applied the thermal compound .
My HDD is only 30G . I'm going to follow your instructions and check my memory and HDD. Maybe one of those are about to die. Thanks for the reply and your help. I will post my results

Brujo

Brujo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've been trying to do the Memtest86 but i can't boot from CD. Before doing the clean windows installation i tried to wipe my HDD using nuke & boot ... On my first try i was able to boot from CD but then it frozed . From then on , I am unable to do so.

What i did found was the Primary IDE wasn't on DMA mode so i changed it, but still the same . To slow on start up, it takes about three min to find my wireless network. On the task manager the CPU usage is not even 10% and takes too long for IE to load.

Any suggestions, Please!!