Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Vostro 400

• Please log in to reply

desert runner

desert runner

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Is is possible to upgrade and add hardware to my 3 year old Dell Vostro 400?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi desert runner :)
If you havn`t already read this it may help; http://en.community....t/19249074.aspx
We can help you with any upgrades if you let us know the following details, what will the computers main use be gaming, school or office work etc and what is your available budget.
One component that more often than not has to be replaced when upgrading brand name computers such as Dell and HP etc is the power supply, especially when adding or upgrading video cards.

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Good morning phillpower 2 and thank you for responding. It is truly appreciated. My dell is three years old and I would like to make some program upgrades along with some hardware, since my only DVD RW seems to have some issues. Our primary use is home use, research, and a touch of business. I first thought about buying a new desktop, then after some thought, I gave some consideration to building my own. Then I thought that since this Dell is only 3 years old, perhaps I may be able to upgrade and refit it for a few more years. Your thoughts and advice would greatly be appreciated.. Respectfully, joe Childs

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Joe, I`m off to do some research and will come back to you with some suggestions for you to consider.
One thing you can do now is use the Crucial Memory Scanner http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true this will recommend what the best available Ram option is for your computer, you do not have to purchase anything just write down the recommendations and then shop around for the best deal.

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh it THANKS!!

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
After completing a check, it appears that I currently have 2 GB of memory. Suggests adding 2 GB more for a total memory of 4 GB. Cost to do so, $33.98. It even shows a video of install procedures, How Cool!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes it is a very helpful tool, I am glad you were impressed.
After considering your present and intended use of the computer going over the top with upgrades would be both needless and a waste of your resources, that said if you have other particular upgrades in mind let us know.
You have your Ram advice sorted so what I suggest now is you check if the PC is W7 compatible http://support.dell....3&isLegacy=true and for your new DVD burner http://www.tigerdire...4&Sku=A455-5022 I have suggested this as it has the ability to overwrite your discs to destroy personal data using a system called EHammer.
By not upgrading the video card you can stick with your present power supply, what other programs are you looking for.

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I would like to add a camera and utilize windows messenger live. Is Windows 7 a good program? I have heard both good and bad.. I will check out MS to see if I can use 7. I will also check out the other site. Would be be benifical to add another DVD drive or a SD slot for my camera? Thank you again for your time and information. Depending on what I find out from MS, re windows 7, May I if I have another question, request your assistance? Thank you again, joe

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I have often heard it said that W7 has all of the good bits of XP + the few good bits that Vista has.
For me the SD card reader as opposed to an additional DVD drive, it will also require less power.

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It appears that to get Windows 7, I must do a Custom install of 32 bit Windows 7 and then reinstall my programs and files. I will also need to locate a new mail program since Outlook Express is not available in Windows 7. Suggestions? It also states that Virtualization technology is not supported by my pc? Do you believe the time necessary to install windows 7 is worth the benifits of Windows 7? joe

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Do you believe the time necessary to install windows 7 is worth the benifits of Windows 7

Having not yet upgraded to W7 I do not know much about it and so not qualified to comment, I will suggest however that you download and run http://windows.micro.../upgradeadvisor this will give you more information on 32 and 64 bit CPUs and OSs.
If you are presently running XP 32bit the software adviser will suggest doing a custom install, the way around this is to back up all the data that you wish to keep and format then partition your HDD and do a full install of W7 64bit, this way you get the full benefits of the new software.

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Good morning Phillopower2. Thank you so much for your very valued assistance. I am thinking that I will go ahead and add 2 GB of Memory, the Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner, as you suggested and stick with XP platform for now. However, I think it would also be very interesting and educational to build one myself. That way I could take my time on the project and when finished (hopfully) have a nice desktop. What say you, try it, don't try it? Again tahnks, Joe

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Joe, if you plan on building your own I say go for it, adding 2GB of Ram is as far as you can upgrade your OS so that is fine, the new DVD drive you can transfer to your new build so yes I think you have made a wise choice.
Good luck with the upgrades and let us know how it works out or if we can help :)

EDIT: Some info on XP memory limits http://members.cox.n...tteryt/RAM.html

Edited by phillpower2, 28 June 2011 - 11:02 AM.

desert runner

desert runner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will indeed keep you posted. Thanks again Phillpower2. Joe