Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Case heating problem

• Please log in to reply

ChemicalElite

ChemicalElite

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got a new case and installed it with a corsair h50 cooling... (all that went fine for first time)
BUT....
now i have a weird problem. when i put my system under stress which is always is from running Warcraft the top right corner of the case is getting unbearably hot(and the side panel pretty far into the sheet metal). SO hot that you can touch it but you can not press your finger on the metal and hold it.
What i think it is ... some how the mobo is transfering heat from the board to the screw to the case.

Right now i have both sides of the computer off till i can get 3 more fans and power outlets for the fans (1 intake 1 exhaust and another for the liquid cooling *paired with the one on there for a push/pull system) so ill have 2 intakes 1 exhaust)
Fix?-- do i want this for a like a make shift heat sink? or do i need to fix it? (id like to fix it if it isnt that much better for my system)
i was thinking of getting a high temp nylon screw (if they have one) and 2 rubber washers for top and bottom of the mobo and just taking out the metal one and replacing it. This would insulate the case from the heat spread.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i was thinking of getting a high temp nylon screw (if they have one) and 2 rubber washers for top and bottom of the mobo and just taking out the metal one and replacing it. This would insulate the case from the heat spread

. That does not make sense. Is your desire to keep the case from getting hurt by the heat? It sounds like to me your case is desperately trying to help and is acting as a heatsink. If you isolate the case, where is that excess heat supposed to go?

I like Corsair but I don't like alternative cooling solutions. For one, they void your CPU's 3-year warranty. But also, motherboard designers purposely center the motherboards regulator circuits and chipset near the CPU so they too can take advantage of the turbulence and air flow produced by the OEM cooling fan. With liquid cooling, there is a big possibility the system or motherboard temps may get too high - and sadly, many inexperienced users fail to compensate with added case cooling.

What are your temps?

You need to determine where that excess heat is coming from, then fix it. Nothing in your computer should generating too much heat.

ChemicalElite

ChemicalElite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ALL my system temps are pretty good
core 27*c
temp 1 31*c
HD 33*c
graphics 48*C

but it only seems to happen when i run it at loads of 50% and higher ... and its the top left of my board exactly where the screw it ... should i just let case pull heat off? then i dont really have something to be worried about

and the panels are off the case cause i dont have the extra fan outlets yet gonna head out the comp store and get 2 more fans and power adapters for it

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

... and its the top left of my board exactly where the screw it ...

Are you sure there are no extra standoffs under the board?

ChemicalElite

ChemicalElite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you mean those little brass extenders?

and there isnt one of those under it. the case itself has a some special metal bracket that it just doesnt work to have it on one of those (i tried it and useing double extenders on the bottom to make it even)
i do have 2 at the bottom i use to connect and make it even

thermaltake v3 black edition mid tower case
http://www.thermalta...?C=1390&ID=1913

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Do you mean those little brass extenders?

Yes, they are called standoffs. Since cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards of various sizes, there are always more case mounting holes than motherboard mounting holes. And it is a common mistake to put more standoffs than needed. This invariably causes the extra standoffs to cause a short-circuit. A short can prevent the board from working, or the short (which is a path of much lower resistance) will cause current in the circuit to rise, typically resulting in something getting hot - sometimes, too hot.

ChemicalElite

ChemicalElite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
so i should go and atleast try and find a rubber washer to put on the back of the board to insulate it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

so i should go and atleast try and find a rubber washer to put on the back of the board to insulate it?

I would want to physically see this before I could advise. If the motherboard is touching metal of the case it should not be touching, then it needs to be isolated. If the motherboard is getting too hot for some other reason, then the extra heat dissipation may be the only thing keeping the system from overheating, or worse.

If me, I would take everything out of the case and assemble the computer on a wooden breadboard or the like. Then start it up and see if you have a heat problem.