Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hi,
I have a Compaq Presario SR1115CL. I want to upgrade the ram to 2gb and install a new hard drive. The computer was new with 512mb ram and 120gb hard drive. I have researched trying to find out if this computer will satisfactorily handle a 320gb hd. I have only found charts which tell me about the original hard drive. Here is one of the sites I found. www.drivesolutions.com

http://www.drivesolu...itemid=cpdt2214

I would appreciate advice on this or where I can find the information.
Thanks!

Advertisements

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have found a chart that contained the info I requested...looks like a 250gb is the largest hd recommended.
Thanks anyway,

sheriff12

sheriff12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You can always upgrade your motherboard. For just about any decent computer work you need at least 2GB's. A mothrboard upgrade isn't that expensive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have a Compaq Presario SR1115CL

Name brand system.

You can always upgrade your motherboard

While true you are going to run into some issues regarding your OS doing this. It is not as simple as replacing the mobo on a OEM system. This would mean you need a new OS installation and you can't use the recovery disks if you have them for your system.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Thanks. Due to my limited ability to replace a mobo on a brand name, I will update to 2gb ram and get a hard drive as recommended.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure of the type of memory by scanning with Crucial Online scanner
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Crucial recommends PC2700 or PC3200. What is the difference in the two and which should I buy?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The difference is minimal in speed.
The cost will probably not be much difference either so it really comes down to what you can afford.
PC2700 2 gig upgrade
PC3200 2 gig upgrade.
3200 seems to be a little cheaper by almost 20 dollars. :)

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok Thank you for advising me on this. I'll place my order.