Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Virus/Trojan...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dubie

dubie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
It has been suggested that I post to this forum for the computer problems I'm having.
I have made one post already and I'm copying and pasting the post here with a little more information.
I only suspect I may have a virus/Trojan because that is what my Internet Server Provider told me I have.
I gave the same information to them as I am posting here.
I did read through the suggested information given in my first post, but none seems to apply to my problems.
Thank You and here is the information I copied and pasted from another forum on your site, (can't remember which forum now).
Hello,
First let me state that I'm not technical at all, but have done all I have been advised to do by my Internet Service Provider and from researching on the internet; no luck at all.
Approximately 5 weeks ago I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials from a site believed to be Microsoft and then the computer became unresponsive, very slow, showed old web pages, web pages began fading in and out, and my speaker settings have been changed to headphones which is not correct.
I did more than 3 system restores as well; no change.
I have Windows XP version 2002, service pack 3.
When going to the control panel, security center and clicking on anti-virus it states there are more than one anti virus running and scanning, but I do not know what anti virus program this would be or where to look to find out.
A friend said he removed most of microsoft security essentials and that's all I know.
I should also state that in Jan. of 2011 I bought a laptop and this friend put some information on it for me.
I did not like the laptop and tried to remove the information, but couldn't even with the tech support so I was assured I could return the laptop and all personal information would be removed, but now I wonder about that.
I have McAfee anti-virus with my internet service provider, but it won't download. It continually states download unsuccessful. The tech support person at my internet service provider stated I have a virus/trojan and told me to call the manufacturer of this computer. The warranty is long expired on this computer.
I have 2 browsers installed on the computer; Firefox and Internet Explorer 8.
Also, under user accounts something called Windows Card Space shows alongside user accounts. I have never seen this before.
In my gmail account under details I continually see 2 IP addresses. When copying and pasting one it states it is a US Internet Service Provider with other detail; I don't know why this would be in details.
The computer is basically non-functional continually stating this program is not responding. It seems to be much worse in the early am hours.
I was able to download McAfee free scan and it simply states I do not have web protection, but firewall is on and anti-virus is on also.
Help is very much appreciated and needed in the simplest of terms please.
Thank You Very Much and Hope I can get back on to read any responses.

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hello dubie and welcome to G2G! :)

My nick is maliprog and I'll will be your technical support on this issue. Before we start please read my notes carefully:

NOTE:
  • Malware removal is NOT instantaneous, most infections require several courses of action to completely eradicate.
  • Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
  • Kindly follow my instructions in the order posted. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans or fix on your own without my direction.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.
  • If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply.
  • You must reply within 3 days or your topic will be closed

Step 1

Download AVPTool from Here to your desktop

Run the programme you have just downloaded to your desktop (it will be randomly named )

First we will run a virus scan
On the first tab select all elements down to Computer and then select start scan
Confirm deletion to all infection AVP finds
Once it has finished select report and post that.

Do not close AVPTool or it will self uninstall, if it does uninstall - then just rerun the setup file on your desktop

Step 2

Download OTL to your Desktop

• Double click on the icon to run it (If running Vista or Windows 7, right click on it and select "Run as an Administrator")
    . Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
/md5stop
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them if you need to start a new topic.

Step 3

Please don't forget to include these items in your reply:

• AVPTool log
  • OTL log
  • OTL Extras log
It would be helpful if you could post each log in separate post

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.