Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random Blue Screen of Death involving many files

• Please log in to reply

reny410

reny410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, I think I'am using VIA Audio Driver right now.

the version is however outdated, and I think ATI installed audio driver too (I'am not really sure, so I attach an image file, please look to clarify) :)

do I have to download the driver from ASUS in the link you gave me to update it?

and, how do I check my memory slot if it's defective?

Attached Thumbnails

• aa.jpg

Edited by reny410, 28 June 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

reny410

reny410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
rshaffer, what you meant if possible, go with option A?

I only see option B? :)

I have two RAM, btw :unsure:

Edited by reny410, 28 June 2011 - 02:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Option A:

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

Very first line of the instructions.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Yes, I think I'am using VIA Audio Driver right now.

the version is however outdated, and I think ATI installed audio driver too (I'am not really sure, so I attach an image file, please look to clarify) :)

do I have to download the driver from ASUS in the link you gave me to update it?

Yes you should update it to the latest one (yours is 2008 the latest 2010)

and, how do I check my memory slot if it's defective?

To know if one of your slot is defective you start by testing one stick in slot A1 (yellow slot) if it passes the test you try your other stick in slot A1 if both pass the test then you try both at the same time (in the two yellow slots) one stick in slot A1 the other in B1 if no errors then you know both are good, if it finds errors you know that slot B1 is defective)

If when you test your first stick in slot A1 (yellow) an it does not pass (finds errors) then you try your second stick in slot A1 if again it finds errors you then try one of the stick in slot A2 (black slot) if that stick passes the test you then know that slot A1 (yellow) is defective. If both sticks fail in slot A2 (black) then you know it is the sticks the problem and not the slots.

It is a long process but it is the way to know if it is the slots or the sticks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
After you have done the tests detailed by Alzeimer and rshaffer61, having read throught the thread, I am not really sure, what you mean by - the tech guys hard drive. I think you mean that he, the tech guy, reinstalled windows on your old hard drive and also sold you or whatever another hard drive. However, if I have read and understood correctly what you mean, he has also installed windows on the new drive.
If both drives, connected ONLY one at a time, result in blue screens, then it is reasonable to presume, that ignoring for the time being the possibility of driver errors on BOTH, then you have a hardware fault.
As you say you have used NEW ram and the old RAM, then it is as Alzeimer has said, either the ram slot is damaged, or the RAM is not correctly inserted, both clips , one at each end of the ram slot must be secured, into the notch in the ram stick OR there is another hardware error.

ONE further possibility is that on BOTH installs the chipset driver for the motherboard was NOT installed.
This is a driver that allows the motherboard to properly commission the various aspects of the board, including the integrated audio and LAN etc.
It is on the link that Alzeimer gave you for the sound
Here it is again.
http://www.asus.com/...Q_SE2/#download

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 June 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

The ATI High Definition Audio drivers you see are for the HDMI output on your Video Card if you ever connect it to an HDMI port on a TV the HDMI will transfer both Video and Audio to your TV.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Additionally you asked on an earlier post how you knew if the sound was integrated.
If it is the speaker connects as shown above on the I/O (Input/Output) plate.

That motherboard does NOT have integrated graphics., so your monitor must connect NOT on this I/O plate but lower down the case.
What is the entry when you expand display adaptor in device manager.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 June 2011 - 04:26 PM.

reny410

reny410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys, sorry it's a bit late, got so many homework :unsure:

I've finished installed the new version of VIA audio driver Alzeimer gave me in the link.

my computer still crashed. I don't think the last crash was related to audio, tho. here is the log from Bluescreenviewer

==================================================
Dump File : Mini062911-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/29/2011 9:07:06 AM
Bug Check String : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug Check Code : 0x0000007f
Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+28c82
File Description : Multi-User Win32 Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f0e
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+cb6e1
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+6b224
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+dd180
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini062911-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 106,496
==================================================

I guess I have to run a memtest overnight.
I got 2 memory stick installed, so It'll be long I guess :yes:
I'll keep you guys posted in this thread :)

Edited by reny410, 29 June 2011 - 10:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and we will watch for your results. :)

Advertisements

reny410

reny410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys, i've done the test with my first RAM
so there are 4 memory slots on my mobo
the one I always used is the yellow pair
I removed one RAM module, and do a test with memtest with only 1 RAM (don't have time for the other one yet :yes: )
on the first slot, the test give like 3500 errors with 13 pass
on the second slot with same RAM module, all passed without errors at all :)

Now I'am running my computer with only one RAM installed. and It's now 24 hours without blue screen. (yaaaaaayy :) )
I don't know if it's really done, tho. since the BSOD is completely random before, and it's only 24 hours.

Is it okay if I used the other pair of memory slots? (the black pair)
or do I have to buy a new mobo?

thank you guys, you all really are great help to me. Happy to had visited this forum :unsure:
(this problem had been for over 1 year lol)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I removed one RAM module, and do a test with memtest with only 1 RAM (don't have time for the other one yet :) )
on the first slot, the test give like 3500 errors with 13 pass
on the second slot with same RAM module, all passed without errors at all

Something is not right. It should either pass or not and not giving conflicting results.

It could mean a faulty memory module or a faulty memory slot.
It is important that the test be run with the same slot all the time and when testing both memory modules the slots marked for the first pair should be used. In your case it sounds like the yellow slots are for the two memory modules you have.

reny410

reny410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
sorry, what do you mean all run at the same slot?

I saw yellow and black pairs on my motherboard
did you mean that the black pair is for another purpose?

I was kinda hasty since there's so many work at house, gotta have to repair this soon, tho :)

mrpakipot

mrpakipot

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm not an expert and know a little but since noone is replying with you now it looks like that your 1st slot is faulty. you can try another ram on that slot if that also give errors try the same ram again on the other slot if it doesnt show any error then slot 1 is definitely faulty.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry we had internet issues last night with a cable line being cut somewhere in the area.
mrpakipot I appreciate your advice but we are all volunteers and are not always here. Sometimes it does take a little longer to answer and my last response was 30 mimutes after reny410's.

If the errors are happening only when the memory is in a specific slot then I would say the slot itself is bad.
This would indicate a faulty motherboard and though you could still run the system with the faulty slot it would need to be replaced.
As you stated in post 26:

Now I'am running my computer with only one RAM installed. and It's now 24 hours without blue screen. (yaaaaaayy :) )
I don't know if it's really done, tho. since the BSOD is completely random before, and it's only 24 hours.

The system will run with the memory configuration changed some what.