Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Laptop Purchase Query

• Please log in to reply

Roberta W

Roberta W

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings.--I'm looking for a mid-range laptop that will be used for writing/editing /freelancing work (that means I mainly use Word) and could double as a decent entertainment system (want decent sound and good screen quality for viewing DVDs). There's a Toshiba M35x-S329 on sale at my local computer store for $989. It's claimed as open box/demo model, but not refurbished. The system seems to meet my specifications and I just subjectively like the look and feel of Toshiba models. I gather this system is being discounted because this particular model is being phased out. Since I have a modest budget, it might make sense to buy it, but I want to know if anyone knows about this model--is there some reason it's being discontinued? Do you recommend I buy a model like this or will it make it difficult in the future--for example, getting replacement parts? Any other laptop brands/models you recommend for my needs? Thanks very much.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Roberta. Welcome to Geeks to Go. Ah yes, purchasing decisions are always a challenge. I am sorry I don't have any personal experience with the particular laptop you are asking about. I have relied on google searches and reading all of the relevant information I could find when I am considering making purchases. I usually find all kinds of reviews, customer ratings when I embark on this kind of journey. Give that a try. I wouldn't worry too much about the unit being phased out. I would make sure it comes with a new computer warranty (usually you get one year). I have to say the price seems good. Good luck! I have learned that by the time I pay for a computer it is already obsolete (faster better ones are always available, for a PRICE!). The important thing, it has to meet your needs!