Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't decide on a Video Card/Power supply. Help me Please!

• Please log in to reply

Ajdin2011

Ajdin2011

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just purchased a HP P7 1020 with an AMD Quad Core Phenom II Processor (3.0 GHZ)
8 Gigs of Ram with 1.5 Tb of space
This is going to be the first computer that i'm working on the computer by myself. The machine will be used both for school and gaming that will include Call of Duty 3 and Battlefield 3 that are coming out late this year. I've looked at couple of video cards and i found a couple that i think will work for me. Nvidia GTX 460, Nvidia GTX 550Ti, Nvidia GTX 560 or maybe even GTX 560Ti. I know most of you will say 560Ti right away but that's going to be my last resort as the Video card is a bit over my budget so i'm trying to compromise with the other ones. Anyone have these video cards, how do they perform, which one will do the job? With that said i'm also going to need a power supply that will match the video card and again what power supply is good for the buck?

P.S if there is any other Video cards on the market equivalent to the ones that i have posted up there please recommend it.

Thank You!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Ajdin2011 :unsure:
You have told us what the intended use for the card is but not your budget, so can you let us know what your maximum combined budget is for the card and the PSU in total :)
Something worth considering is that whilst there is no conclusive proof there are many people that believe ATI/Radeon cards work better with AMD CPUs and Nvidea cards work better with Intel processors, you are less likely to have driver conflicts and set-up problems etc.

Ajdin2011

Ajdin2011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well i do not want to go over 200 dollars for sure but i'd like to stay around 170. So you think that it could cause system confusion between Nvidia and my amd phenom?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Couple of suggestions for you, within your budget after rebate and free shipping.
Video card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102917
PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005 this will allow for future upgrades, a tip for you, measure your present PSU then compare the dimensions to any potential purchase, usually found by clicking the Details tab at Newegg.

So you think that it could cause system confusion between Nvidia and my amd phenom?

Like I said there is no concrete evidence of this but as AMD also own ATI you are less likely to have any install issues, that said there are always exceptions to the rule.
Good luck and let us know what you decide or if we can help in any way.