Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need suggestions for speeding up [upgrades] photo editing

• Please log in to reply

larbaz3

larbaz3

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I built the following system 2 years ago and recently installed Win7 64 bit and love it, but lately while working on photo editing, I get the hourglass pretty often. I did download new drivers for the Display adapter. I also tried 4 more gigs of memory, but didn't notice any improvement.
I use Photoshop Elements and also convert old VHS tapes to DVD with Honestech software.
I am open to any upgrade suggestions to improve speed and would really appreciate any help.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775
CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N
MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
CPUCOOLER|ARCTIC P4|ACFZ7-PRO
LG|GH22NS30 22X SATA
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS [Display adapter]
HP w2408 [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n CND8031LY9, January 2008)
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
I also have another internal drive and 2 external drives for backups and storage.

Advertisements

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I don't know how I posted in 2 forums...sorry.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Have you cleaned your drives of clutter? Have you scanned for malware?

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes I use Malwarbytes. And drives have been defragged....anything else needed? I use Avira Antivir as protection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have downloaded everything and completed each thing, but have one question before I post the summary report.
On the following part of instructions, I am confused. When I open report there is no quick report summary. Do I click all pages or system summary only?
In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png
  • sensor.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well first thing I notice is your +12 volt rail is like non existence. This is a major issue for sure.
The system summary report should work.

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have no idea what +12volt rail means?

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
12 volt rail is the main power for your system from the power supply in your computer. Being that low would indicate a failure and possibly the root of your issue. Not enough power to run everything which would cause components like the HD to not run correctly causing slowness.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't see the Autoruns log? :)

Advertisements

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Oh sorry, forgot...here it is

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK Autoruns look good so no issue there so please do the following.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK that was fast. My C drive was only 2%, but the strange thing is an external drive that I have only used about a month was 56%. It did the defrag very quick though?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK that was fast. My C drive was only 2%, but the strange thing is an external drive that I have only used about a month was 56%. It did the defrag very quick though?

Yep Auslogics is a lot quicker in my opinion.
Did you run TFC first?

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes I did.