Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sort of a Request/Oppertunity

• Please log in to reply

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well with IPB im quite expirienced and i want to create a forum based around computers. General things like games, support, online stuff, digital design etc. It will probably have to be on a free host for now such as invisionfree. Invisionfree though are reliable and provide good services, and most importantly are the best free service in my opinion.

My query, would anyone of you want to help me create this? Youde need to have some knowledge on forums of course and be a cool person though :tazz:.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Good idea, but there are so many easy to use stuff for forums that I would spend more time getting site set up so people want to visit and use your site.

Have you got a site already up that just needs the forum added?

Ron

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Nope, havnt really considered making a site yet. Although itd be hard with a budget of nothing. Thats why at 1st i said forum alone.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It seems to me you are going to have to have some basic site to set up your forum on. There are a lot of good free hosting sites that allow use of a cgi-bin, PHP or Perl scripts.

You could throw together a real basic home page and put your link to your forum on it. Could include a guest book too. If you don't mind ads, you could use bravenet.com's site. They have forums and stuff already available for use. Or check out bizhat.com or any of 100's of other free hosting sites.

Ron

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
For forums i'll use the usual invisionfree. They provide you with a IPB 1.3 board with unlimited posts, members etc. I only know basic HTML though so making a good site could be troublesome. I was just about to continue my HTML learning and learn tables but i seem to be having troubles grasping it.

In addition, the real problem is trying to find someone who i can share the workload with, a second administrator.

Edited by plzhelpmea11, 05 June 2005 - 02:52 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The two hosting site examples I listed both provide you with an online WYSIWYG Editor although you can edited using actual HTML code. They both provide a variety of themes to use and there are 1000's of free web page templates available online. All this boils down to no HTML coding whatsoever for your home page.

If you aren't going to have ads on your pages, another free hosting to check out is :

http://www.mfhosting.com/

Don't know of any host that provides a forum only base. Even GTG has its Home Page.

I'm already doing two other sites for people so wouldn't really be interested in being an administrator. Just help doing the code or setting up the home page.

Ron

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I may be interested in helping. Send me a PM with some more details of what you have in mind.

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks alot for your help Major Payne. admin, iv only got 15 minutes spare right now before i have to leave so i'll have to PM you later today if that's ok.

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hey!

I can sort your website for you, then link it to your forums? Let me know your plans. PM me or something!

Cheers

Spike

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I might take you up on your offer Spike i'm not sure, thanks alot.

Iv got to get some hosting from somewhere, maybe MF hosting like payne suggested for the website.

Edited by plzhelpmea11, 06 June 2005 - 10:10 AM.

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
waazzupp

yah just keep us posted

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Im completely baffled on how to make a website. I can get hosting from somewhere but i dont no if its legit or a scam, and iv know idea what a myql? is or a fttp?. Could someone offer a quick faq on web creaton?

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Yeah sure, FTP is the way of transferring files to and from the internet. When you sign up with sombody for domain name and web space they will send you all the details you need to loing and transfer files. I use dreamweaver and it has it's own ftp software inside. Therefore I just tell dreamweaver where to login and it transfers them for me. Other software includes Cuteftp, which is also good.

Not sure what you are getting at with myql. I think you are talking about mysql? Myql is part fo a programming language, not entirely sure but i think it's php related.

Mysql is an open source database.

Why are you looking into myql, or mysql? What are looking to achieve from the website?

As for hosting there aren't many cowboys around now, just search in google for cheap web hosting and see who comes up. I think geeks to go have web hosting, you may wish to try them, at least you will know it's legitimate?

Anything tlse you need to know just ask!

plzhelpmea11

plzhelpmea11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well i cant use Geeks to Go but iv got a budget of zero, so i need a free one thats not a ripoff.

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Check out the forum...

http://www.geekstogo...st_-t28062.html