Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Less than 1 year old with lots of problems

• Please log in to reply

prayingwife

prayingwife

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My computer shuts down without notice and gives error messages which do not stay on the screen long enough to copy. Tried technical assistance before online but could not understand the instructions and did not have time, working, to follow up. I'm on summer break hoping to get my computer in working condition. I had planned to restore to factory settings but I can't get the system backed up. It backs up a certain amount then stops skipped files or it just says back up was not successful. I can operate a computer but have little experience in the technical areas so please advise in as simple means as possible. Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello prayingwife.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:unsure: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

BSOD in safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER and then PROPERTIES
Click ADVANCED and then click the SETTINGS button In the Startup And RECOVERY section
Uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click APPLY and OK.
Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error being halted so you can now copy and reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hopefully I did this correctly:

I added them as attachments. I wasn't sure if it should be posted/copied here or from the saved files.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   96.48KB   259 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK speedfan looks good but Blue Screen is showing some other possible causes which one is the memory.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

I'm not sure what you mean ^

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not to worry just skip that part and start with the download instructions.

Lexsam

Lexsam

• Pip
  • 2 posts

My computer shuts down without notice and gives error messages which do not stay on the screen long enough to copy. Tried technical assistance before online but could not understand the instructions and did not have time, working, to follow up. I'm on summer break hoping to get my computer in working condition. I had planned to restore to factory settings but I can't get the system backed up. It backs up a certain amount then stops skipped files or it just says back up was not successful. I can operate a computer but have little experience in the technical areas so please advise in as simple means as possible. Thanks

In my experience computers turn off unexpectedly because of a malfunctioning fan and it would be best if you can have it checked by a technician. It is just too bad that in 1 year your computer is already giving you so much problems.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

In my experience computers turn off unexpectedly because of a malfunctioning fan and it would be best if you can have it checked by a technician. It is just too bad that in 1 year your computer is already giving you so much problems.

Post 3 clearly shows the voltages and temps are well within acceptable ranges so it is doubtful that is the issue.

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got to this point but I am not sure how to boot from the CD I tried opening it 2 files Boot and Memtest
When I open the boot file this message comes up This file is invalid for use as the following:Security Catalog
When I open the memtest file this comes up: Window Disc Image Burner - to start burning disc image click burn.
I also don't understand Boot Sequence in your BIOS -:)
My computer has shut down twice since I started this process - error message system-service-exception with a lot of numbers. I did write the numbers if they are needed. The next time it shut down I was not in the room and it restarted I guess. It was back to the password window.
Please advise

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for your comments. I would however, feel more comfortable working with one person at this time. I feel comfortable working with rshaffer61 - he/she has an excellent reputation. This is not to discredit your thoughts, I'm just not savy on computers and would not know how to discern appropriate from inappropriate responses. I must rely upon the recommendations/ratings of others who have followed the advise of this moderator. But, thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Following the instructions on how to burn the image to a cd you should do nothing more after that except for restarting your system with the newly created cd in the disk drive. If your boot sequence is set to boot to the cdrom first then the cd will automatically boot before you even get to windows.
If it doesn't then we need to recheck your boot sequence in the bios. :)

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I restarted the computer and nothing happened. Do I change the boot sequence in my BIOS - what is a BIOS? If yes, how is this done?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hopefully you have already put the Memtest cd in the drive before all this. over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
My screen was a little bit different and I was hesitant to make changes This is how it appeared on the BIOS Screen:

Main Advanced Power Boot Tools Exit

Under Boot:
Boot Setting:
Boot Device Priority - message to right of screen read: Specifies the Boot Device Priority Sequence - A vitual floppy disk drive (Floppy Drive B) may appear when you set the
CD-ROM Drive as the first boot device.
Once I entered this area it read:
1st Boot Device [Remov. Dev.]
2nd Boot Device [SATA: PM-Hitachi HD]
3rd Boot Drive [CRROM:SS-HL-DT-ST]
Message to the Right of this screen read: A device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu

Key: < > arrows: select screen
up/down arrows: select item
+- change option
F1 General Help
F10 Save and exit
ESC Exit

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Original

1st Boot Device [Remov. Dev.]
3rd Boot Drive [CRROM:SS-HL-DT-ST]

Change to this

1st Boot Device [CRROM:SS-HL-DT-ST]
3rd Boot Drive [Remov. Dev.]