Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Less than 1 year old with lots of problems

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

You suggested adding another link to this topic ???? .

No what i meant was if you take it in for warranty work give them the link to this topic so they can see we checked the memory and it shows the errors which indicates a faulty memory module.

Is ASUS an inferior product

If you are referring to the motherboard I would highly say NO as this is the motherboards I use and have installed on all my systems here at home. 4 to be specific and other then the occasional bad board i have never had any problems with them.

In your case you are dealing with a memory module issue and not a motherboard issue from what we can see. Without the warranty techs looking at it and testing each module alone and the memory slots on the motherboard I would not say it could be the motherboard. Though possible I believe the issue is a bad memory module.

Is this just a case of bad luck or am I looking a continued problems in the future?

If it is a faulty memory module then replacement should take care of it. If bad motherboard memory slot then it could just be a bad one. Though manufacturers strive for perfection we all know in the real world perfection is not a reality. Electronic parts break down over time. In some cases a bad one gets through the inspection process and it has to be replaced. There is no way for me to tell but I would venture to say that if it is a memory module it could be a faulty solder point or a damaged lead that connects to the motherboard slot.

Advertisements

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:) Thank you so much. I appreciate your step by step instructions.
Its also good to know that it's not the model. I should have inquired more about what to purchase, but I'm glad to know that my limited knowledge has not cost me this time. Next time I'll do my homework.
What about backing up data

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What about backing up data

Anything you want to keep is worth backing up and backing up in more then one place.
I would backup all documents, pics, videos to a dvd or maybe seriously consider a external hd and backup the whole hd to it.
There are several backup programs of which I suggest Acronis True Image.
Per their web site it will do the following:

• Backup
  • Disk imaging
  • File backups
  • Full, incremental and differential backups
  • Around the clock protection

You can do a full backup or one that only backs up changed files since the last backup. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 11 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry I've been on vacation. When I returned it to Best Buy, I was given the run around by one clerk and another recommended that I allow them back up everything again at a charge of 100.00 - 150.00 They also said that if it were the OS, there would be a charge. I gave them the information from this forum and they said that they would run their own diagnostics, very unconcerned, didn't want to entertain questions. They would let me know what the diagnostic showed and would tell me if there would be an additional cost or whether they would need to return it to the company for repair . Finally another helpful gentleman, Best Buy employee, recommended that I work with ASUS; he thought the turn around time might be the same especially if they had to send it back to the company. He said they usually just send out a new machine. I just returned today, so I plan to make contact with them on Monday. Thanks for the follow-up questions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am not a fan of Geeks Squad and really not a fan of any company that plays games. They are going to run the same test we ran and then try to say it was something you did or we did.
Asus may be the best option :)

prayingwife

prayingwife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks for your assistance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 14 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.