Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 SP1 Fatal Error When Installing

• Please log in to reply

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I've been trying to install the service pack 1 update for Windows 7
and when the computer restarts, it starts to install a few things then I get this error in between, and it happens every time i restart my computer

Posted Image

I can restart and run utility partition and use windows restore to get my computer back running again but the SP1 isnt installed

I tried the solution on the microsoft website of installing a hotfix but still no luck

Also tried the standalone installer and this is what I get
Posted Image
I downloaded the tool, it installed a hotfix and i tried running SP1 installer again and I get the same error

if anyone could help that would be great

Edit: I got the standalone installer error to go away but then when the computer reboots it ends up with the FATAL Error shown in the first picture

Edited by GeekForgotten, 01 July 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try this: Boot from the Windows 7 DVD or Windows Recovery Environment (F8) and from the command prompt and run this command:

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

If that doesn't work, go back and instead a command prompt, start system restore & restore to a point prior to the latest update that caused the problem (probably SP1).

The above from the Windows BBS forum.
http://www.windowsbb...dows-7-sp1.html

SRX660

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Hey SRX660
first of all thank you for your reply

and I can easily use system restore to get back into windows and get it running again but if i try to install SP1, I get the same error
it would be great if I could install this update

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Microsoft provides free support for Windows Updates issues within a single business day. That would be your best bet for support with this problem:

http://support.micro...&as=1&tzone=480

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Thanks NeonFx
i'll try it out