Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not boot

• Please log in to reply

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It's a computer that I built myself. I have the CD for the motherboard. It's an Asus A8N-SLI.

Advertisements

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Bump!

What should I do now?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The chipset drivers and other drivers needed will be on the cd. You need to install them. Have you tried another mouse?

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes, no difference. Plus the old mouse worked when I swapped hard drives from my system. So I don't think it's a hardware problem.

The A8N-SLI CD doesn't boot, so how do I retrieve the files?

One more thing...a popup window says that there are 27 days left before Windows renewal. What does that mean? A reinstallation?

Edited by meditationguru, 06 July 2011 - 11:50 PM.

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Bump again (my wife is bugging me to get this system fixed)

The A8N-SLI CD doesn't boot, so how do I retrieve the drivers on the motherboard CD without using a mouse?

One more thing...a popup window says that there are 27 days left before Windows renewal. What does that mean? A reinstallation?

Edited by meditationguru, 07 July 2011 - 06:30 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Load the USB drivers with the keyboard so you get your mouse back.

bretwt91

bretwt91

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My suggestion is that first of all boot up your
system in safe mode and then restore your system
at the particular date. I am sure that it will solve
your problem. If after doing this you have the same problem
please tell me.

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
To Bretwt91:

Restore does not work.

Edited by meditationguru, 08 July 2011 - 12:56 AM.

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
To Skifxr:

Exactly how do I do that?

Edited by meditationguru, 08 July 2011 - 12:55 AM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I cant really explain fully how to navigate through Windows with a keyboard only. You use the tab key a lot and enter. Space bar to check/uncheck things, etc, etc. Someone posted a few posts back a keyboard shortcuts URL. Follow that link and read it.

Advertisements

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've read the shortcuts, can't find one appropriate. Can this be done via DOS? That to me is the simplest way to access another drive without a mouse.

I was wondering...system was the file originally marked as corrupted. But you had me replace the sam, default, and software files as well from the repair directory. What if I replaced the original files with the exception of the system file. Might that not work?

Also, do you know what "Windows must be renewed in 27 days" means? A reinstall?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are a few things going on here that are most likely creating issues.
1. You have 4 copies of windows on the computer. How did you manage to get 4 windows installed?
2. You have no mouse which in itself is odd.
3. With 4 windows on the unit, the boot config file is most likely corrupted.

Do you know what windows you are actually booting into?
What is displayed on the boot screen when you start up? It should list your windows and usually which one you are booting in to.

Do you have any data on the computer that needs to be saved? If so, we could boot from a linux live cd and get the data off.
You could also slave the drive to another computer to get the data off.
A linux cd will boot and run in memory from the cd. It has its own drivers to run video and the mouse. We might be able to use it to get a better look at the drive. I don't believe we can repair anything with it.

The reason I ask is it might be time to just re-install the OS.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have established that Windows is the current active directory, not Win.0, .1,.2. Don't know how those others appeared, I built this computer 4-6 years ago. This computer has been running fine for over a year with those four Windows present so I don't think that is the reason the system file is corrupted.

I have the data on a separate hard drive so I don't have to worry about that. So we don't need to use a Linux CD since it won't repair the issue anyway.

I was thinking that if I could access Windows Explorer, I could get to the files on the motherboard CD but when I look under Accessories, there is no listing for WE.

Any idea what that "Windows must be renewed in 27 days" message is about?

A reinstall is my last option...and the one I dread the most.

UPDATE:

I got into Explorer using the start/run command. From there I was able to access the CD drive that contains the motherboard CD.

So I accessed the Asus A8N-SLI CD. Its main directory was Nvidia Force 4. I went to Drivers, then Chipset, then WinXP and executed setup. I said yes to all the options - including the Nvidia firewall. Rebooted.

Mouse still does not work and I still cannot access the internet. When I ran device manager it gave me a yellow under Floppy Drives (1st one was OK, 2nd was yellow) and under the mouse USB. Network Adapters no longer has ethernet network controller, which was yellow before.

What to do now?

Edited by meditationguru, 09 July 2011 - 05:21 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Any idea what that "Windows must be renewed in 27 days" message is about?

You sure that's what it says. I've heard of activated but never renewed.

You just need to load the drivers for the USB now.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would do a repair install on windows now that you know which one it is. A repair install will replace all of the windows files that are corrupt.
I would also delete the other 3 windows.