Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 doesn't open programs

• Please log in to reply

ACher91

ACher91

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
So, I got a new computer yesterday (windows 7), and I added my old hard drive from a Windows XP computer to it. Whenever I try to open any .exe files on it, nothing happens. The mouse changes for a few seconds into the loading mouse thingy, but the program doesn't open.

...This is really not a good first impression of windows 7. -_-

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you install the programs on Win7 or just trying to open them from the XP drive you added?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
The latter.

...Also, umm. It seems that this only works with some programs and not others; this computer didn't come with firefox installed, but I am able to open it fine off the XP hard drive.

Edited by ACher91, 02 July 2011 - 08:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK in order for programs to work you would need ot install them to the win7 drive so that the registry can be given the correct entries for the program.
I don't know how FF is working if it is not installed on the win7 drive.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yeah... I thought it might be something like that, so I actually moved a program over (After effects cs3) out of the program files of the XP drive into the program files of the windows 7. Still nothin'. :/ Any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you can't just move a program from XP to Win7. It has to be installed just like a new installation.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ugh... so I have to do that for every single one of my XP programs? Jeez, why can't windows just work... >_>

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you had simply upgraded on the existing system it may have worked but it is not made to work that way.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Kay well... the thing is, a lot of those programs I just downloaded straight off the internet and there was really no official "install" process—I just sort of unpacked the folder from a .zip/.rar & stuck it inside program files. So, are you saying that I should just do that again? ...That's going to be a huge pain finding and re-downloading everything, especially since I already have it... And if that works, it really would make no sense to me, as it seems like the exact same thing I already tried to do...

Edited by ACher91, 02 July 2011 - 07:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What kind of programs and where did you download them from?
If not installs then are you talking ISO's and Torrents?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yes, for the most part they were torrents. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes, for the most part they were torrents. :)

OK that could mean a possible hidden infection has caused the associations to become faulty.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ummm, I reeeeeeaaaally don't think I have any malware. :/ The previous computer was working fine, and so is this one now... :/ I explored the issue more myself and tried all the programs, and most of them actually did open. The ones that didn't, I just re-installed like you previously suggested, and now all is well. It looks like you were right about that installation thing. ;o Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah windows ever since about 95 has really not allowed programs to work from another HD unless that program has been installed through the OS drive.
In your case the program was actually installed from another system so the required files were not even there. Glad to hear you got it straightened out.
Just a word to the wise though.
Torrent's are notorious for having hidden infections and some are even made to look like legitimate files. I mentioned having your system checked out only to be sure.
:)