Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop won't connect to Internet after Factory Restore

• Please log in to reply

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I recently had to restore the factory settings (As in restore it back to the day it was bought with a clean install of Windows XP). While the modem and router are obviously working because it's still sending the wireless signal and I can connect to it with my laptop just fine (or I wouldn't be typing this) but the desktop won't. I've tried reinstalling both the modem (Motorola 2210) and the wireless router (D-Link) and neither of them detect either respective piece of hardware. Any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What make and model is the desktop?
Did you try to go tot he manufacturers website and download the drivers for the desktop wireless card?
If the wireless is a add on card then the drivers from the manufacturer would be needed.
System specs will help to find the correct drivers.

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's a Dell Dimension 4700. The desktop itself isn't wireless nor does it have a wireless card, it was wired to the router (which also broadcasts our wireless internet) which in turn was wired to the modem. I know the wireless is working because my laptop (that uses wi-fi) is able to connect to our network and the internet (or I wouldn't be typing this right now) but my hardwired desktop won't connect to the internet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the desktop Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Device Manager.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you have more then a network issue going on. Did you install the motherboard chipset driver first?
You should install the drivers in this order:
  • Chipset
  • Video
  • Network or Nic\Lan
  • Sound

All original drivers can be found HERE
I suggest downloading everything and save them as the name of the driver...IE: Audio, Video, Lan, Chipset and save them in a folder on your desktop. Once you have them all then burn them to a cd and keep that for future issues you may have or in case you need to format and reinstall again.

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you, sir. Internet is up, my hat's off to you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job and the other entries in your device manager?

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, everything seems to be working except for the sound... The audio driver you pointed to says "The audio driver software does not support your hardware" when I try to install it, and my sound card seems to be completely missing off of my list of devices.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get another device manager screenshot please. :)
Hmm let me ask are you using the onboard audio or have you put in a add on card?

Advertisements

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm using what came with the computer when we bought it, so I'd say onboard.

Attached Thumbnails

• Device MNGR2.JPG

Edited by The_Rookie, 05 July 2011 - 07:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK did you download the audio driver as i think you said you did.
Uninstall the yellow exclamation entries and reboot. When it asks for the location of the driver for the audio direct it to where you saved the driver and see if it works.

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
How, exactly? The "Found New Hardware" wizard pops up, and I go to do the manual install, I try to tell it where to look, and it won't let me select any locations... Is there any way to find out what kind of sound card I have so I can just install the specific drivers for whomever manufactures the card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep we can try Everest.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

The_Rookie

The_Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So... I went a LITTLE above your head and using Everest I found that I had an Audigy 2 soundcard, and I just went to the Creative website and got the right driver for it, and now my sound works just fine, but again, thanks for all the help!