Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant get Homegroup to work

• Please log in to reply

designinme

designinme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have two pc's in my home. One running windows 7 32 BIT, and one running Win 7 64 bit. I created a home group on the laptop, as I want to grab some files from the laptop and bring over to the Desktop unit ( the desktop unit is the one running 64 BIT win 7). Both machines have different names and the clock is set with the right time. When I create the home group on my Laptop, and select files that I want to share, the basic libraries ARE viewable on the Desktop machine. I can see Documents, Pictures FOLDERS, but I cannot open them! I can also change the password on the Laptop, and then PC will be able to enter the correct password to join the homegroup, so I know they can see each other. But again, not able to open the folders. If I go on my Laptop computer and "right click" on a folder, and then go to "share with"... the default is set to "nobody" with a lock icon next to it. If I select "Homegroup" it does not change. If I set permissions to let anyone access the file, and then check "Share"... the folder does not become available for view in the homegroup.

Also, The homegroup is only one way. What I mean by this, is the Desktop unit can see 3 folders shared by the Laptop ( but can't open them ).. but the laptop cannot see anything being shared by the Desktop unit. Both PC's have the same Time. Both PC's are set to Home Network.

Also, as soon as I log out of windows on the Laptop, the visible folders being shared will vanish from view from the Desktop PC. Even though I cannot open those folders I can see them so I know something is at least being communicated successfully between the two machines over the network. Also, if I change the password for the home group on the Laptop, I am required ( and it works ) to put in the new password on the Desktop unit. So communication in some form is working.

I am not running any extra firewall that I am aware off unless my Lenovo came pre-installed with something that I am not seeing as a firewall or Antivirus.

Please help, any suggestions would be great.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Sharing and permissions http://www.sevenforu...ermissions.html