Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gnr ts902 monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

jollyrog1111

jollyrog1111

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi
I am a newbie to the site, my question is , I have a number of monitors gnr ts902 and when I reboot the PC the monitor wont come back on until I remove the power supply to the monitor and reinsert in, all the three faulty monitors all have the same problem and I suspect a component has gone in the monitors would be nice to know what component it is.

cheers JR

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi JR and welcome.

The same problem with 3 monitors on the same PC suggests to me something wrong with the computer's graphics solution (card or on-board), or a common cable, but not the monitors. You are describing a classic "graphics card" problem - where the card is failing to send a "wake up" signal to the monitor.

Do other monitors behave properly on this computer? Have you tried those monitors on different computers?

That said, I did find where someone else with the same monitor had the same problem. The suggested solution was to press and hold both left and right arrow buttons for 1 minute, forcing the monitor to change inputs. 1 minute seems excessive to me (4 - 5 seconds seems more likely - if this input mode change feature is actually a design feature), and the OP never responded to say if it worked or not. So I am not sure of the suggestions validity.

If other monitors work fine on that computer, then that would indeed point to the monitors. If you have 3 of the same model monitors (or same model anything) an all failed the same way, I would probably contact the company. Maybe there's a recall you missed.

As for which component, there are probably dozens in the circuit(s) that control the monitor's sleep, wake and handshaking tasks. There is no way anyone could tell via a forum which specific device failed. It needs at least a hands-on visual inspection of the monitor's innards to look for something that got too hot. Ideally, you would need to take it to a technician who has the necessary tools, skills, training and tech data to troubleshoot. Also, as a technician, I can tell you that a failed device (failed resistor, for example) in the wake circuit of Monitor 1 does NOT suggest the same resistor failed in Monitor 2 or Monitor 3. A fried resistor just means there was too much current in circuit - cause unknown and the resistor could not handle it. It could easily be an associated device in the same circuit that failed first. Certainly the same circuit is suspect, and the resistor might be the first place to look, but each monitor would need to be troubleshot separately.

At the same time, again as a technician, with 3 failed monitors, I would be hesitant to connect yet another monitor to that computer. I would need to confirm and know for a fact the computer's graphics solution was not destroying these monitors before risking yet another monitor. Not sure how a home user could that except by replacing the graphics solution by installing a different card.

jollyrog1111

jollyrog1111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi

Thanks for the reply, I am a technician at a school in the uk, I tried the monitors on other pcs and pcs on other monitors and it is definitely a monitor fault, normally I would just change the monitor and bin the faulty ones, its just that pulling the power out/in and the monitor works perfectly, I think there is a clue in the fact that the power button stays green even when the pc is off, normally it would go to orange(stand by) with the pc off, I will have to get the back off again and give it a thorough going over. I will let you know if I find anything.

cheers jr

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay, then I agree with your assessment and there is definitely something wrong with the monitors. Whether this is a coincidence or not that all 3 have the same symptoms, I don't know. It would be interesting to know if the same component fried.

Do you have any of these models that still work correctly? Tech data is often difficult, if not impossible to find. But having a good working model that maybe you can get some voltage or o'scope readings from to help troubleshoot.

And I still would contact GNR and let them know that as a technician, you are upset with the reliability and this apparent trend in bad monitors.