Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taskbar covered with long tan bar

• Please log in to reply

khm15534

khm15534

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yesterday I rid my computer of the trojan desktop virus which had made my desktop black with a warning message listed. After following all the helpful directions given on this website, I thought I was free and clear of everything. Well, now the taskbar is being covered up with a long tan bar so that I cannot access the START button. I still have all the icons on my desktop and the smaller icons and clock on the lower right hand section of the taskbar. I'm not sure if this is another virus or not. I tried to talk to an online technician for hp but when I get to their website and choose that link I get a window that pops up and says: "hcp://services/subsite?node=HPNode/HP_Instant_Support. This application has failed to start because the application confirmation is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Any advise would be much appreciated!
PS I also submitted this information in another post because someone else has a related issue. I thought I'd better start a new post just in case.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good call...you obvious still have something going on...it does not appear as if you posted in the malware section, did you?

You are infected with malware

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am attempting to use Ad-Aware again to do a full scan (I just did so 2 days ago but am re-doing each of the steps suggested before I post a Hijack This log). Since I had just recently installed Ad-Aware I tried scanning from the download that I had saved to my desktop, but I received an error-message. So I used the link to download it again (and I made sure to uninstall the previous version), but still the same error message popped up. I even tried it a third time from the Ad-Aware website but still the same thing. It reads: C:/PROGRA~1/Lavasoft/AD-AWA~1/Ad-Aware.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Any suggestions of how to run their scan? I used it successfully just 2 days ago!

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
While I was waiting for a reply to the error with using Ad-Aware I attempted to download and run CWShredder. I got the same error message when trying to run this: C:/Documentsand Settings/Owner/Desktop/CWShredder.exe The application configuration is incorrect, etc.
How do I configure these applications so that I can run these scans?

Just tried Spybot S&D with the DSO Exploit Fix. Same error message with these as well!

Edited by khm15534, 31 May 2005 - 11:05 AM.