Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Connecting your cable connection (Astound.net) to a router? I've heard all this about a cable modem and such, but I'm still not exactly sure on how to connect it all. Could anyone give me an explanation as to how to do this?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you got your wireless card installed and ready to go? Which router are you using? Doesn't it have the install instructions on the CD? Mine did in a PDF file which included pix and troubleshooting instructions. I used a Motorola router and companion wireless board to connect to cable modem.

Ron

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm just asking what to do before hand cus I didn't actually buy it all yet. Well basically my question is: What do I buy to connect a cable connection to a router?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Basically you are going to need a router and install a wireless card in your PC(s). The router and card comes with everything to get you up and running. If you have any cordless phones in the house, you should get a router which operates on a frequency other than your cordless phone. If you have a laptop, you will need to buy a comparitable wireless card for it.

I don't like to recommend any specific types, but since I had no problems with the Motorola router and wireless card, you might want to read up on one of them here :

Motorola Outfits the Networked Home

You can run PC World's Search for routers to get a list of all types and product reviews so you can make an informed decision. Or check out the local library, newsstand for anything that may have articles on routers. Online is easier.

Using a router on a cable connection is great if you have more than one PC in the house. Some cable companies make you upgrade the service before adding more PCs, but try it first with your present service. Personally, I think it is just a money making idea to upgrade service, but then I had a long issue with my cable company about this. After all, the bandwidth was already enough for 3 PCs to be connected. There's more to this, but don't want to go into it.

Let me know if you need more info.

Ron

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ok, the only reason you would need a router is if you wanted to hook up multiple pc's on the same connection or just one other pc. Just make shure the other pc or pc's have network interface cards, or onboard.

All you need to buy is a router, and decide what room the other pc will be in. This could involve buying a long length of cat 5 networking cable to lets say the room on the other side of the wall. Just make shure you have A router, and networking cable. Each pc needs a network card. Then for some companies you will need to call up your cable provider and ask them for help on setting up a router. Not all companies, if you pulg everything up it might work.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

ok, the only reason you would need a router is if you wanted to hook up multiple pc's on the same connection or just one other pc.

Not necessarily. Your cable modem connection may be in one location, but you want to use your PC from another room which doesn't have the cable installed. Or you have a laptop you want to use while sitting in the kitchen or out in the yard. A wireless connection to cable modem opens up more options than just connecting more than one PC although I mentioned that in post.

Raymond-Online is just making inquiries on what his options are using a router connected to a cable modem which I have used.

Ron

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
true, but i wouldnt buy a router just to set up my pc in another room. I would keep it where ever there was a cable outlet in a spare bedroom or so. I didnt even know if he wanted wireless or wired. If you want move-ability go with wireless if you game online go wired.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello Raymond,

To answer the simplified question that was asked, all you would need to connect the modem to the router is a standard ethernet patch cable. And the same type of cable would be used to connect from the router to the PC if you go with a wired connection.

Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hello Raymond,

To answer the simplified question that was asked, all you would need to connect the modem to the router is a standard ethernet patch cable.  And the same type of cable would be used to connect from the router to the PC if you go with a wired connection.

Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

View Post

Raymound-Online doesn't have to buy this cable as it should be the same one he's using now to connect his PC to the cable modem. It will go to the router instead of his PC instead.

My cable modem provides either an ethernet connection or a USB connection. Any good router you buy will have optional connections and will include the necessary cables/software with it. Some may have their own connector type from the router itself but with either an ethernet connector or a USB connector to use with the modem. There's some standardization here so I doubt Raymond will run into any connections problems as long as he doesn't buy a non-standard router.

All this is based on the fact that Raymond stated he has a cable service using a cable modem now and wants to use a router to connect to the Internet without using "wires". Can't see why he would want a "wired" connection as he already has one. I have two PCs attached to my cable modem. One using the ethernet input and the other using the USB input. It will not allow both connections to be used at the same time, but I can cause modem to switch to which PC I want to use easily enough.

Ron

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Everyones' help has been appreciated and it has helped. Thank you.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Can't see why he would want a "wired" connection as he already has one.  I have two PCs attached to my cable modem.  One using the ethernet input and the other using the USB input.  It will not allow both connections to be used at the same time, but I can cause modem to switch to which PC I want to use easily enough.

Ron

View Post

Yes he has wires, but technically a wired connection is running networking cables to and from a wired router. From the router to the pc's using networking cable. We were talking about routers here.... Somehow there was a misunderstanding.

So, technically he doesnt have a wired connection if he doesnt already have a wired router with cat 5's running to the pc or pc's.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No misunderstanding. That's why the word wired was in parentheses.

Ron

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Everyones' help has been appreciated and it has helped.  Thank you.

View Post

Glad you got things worked out. Just let me know if you need this topic opened back up.
:tazz:

Topic closed... I see a silly useless argument starting. ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)