Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having audio driver/controller problems - "Please plug in "C-M

• Please log in to reply

Jupebox

Jupebox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I recently replaced my motherboard and am having problems with the onboard audio. The ASUS website identified my motherboard as an M2N-SLI, so I downloaded the audio drivers for that model and, upon installation, received this error message: "Please plug in "C-Media 6501 Sound" and install driver again."

I thought I might try the device manager to see if something there was causing a problem. "Other devices" contained a couple thing that looked like they might be related to my problem, so I tried to install drivers for them, but the hardware update wizard couldn't find drivers etc for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus", "SM Bus Controller" or "Unknown Device."

This has me absolutely stumped. I only know enough about computers to know that Something Is Terribly Wrong, and I can't figure out what. Please help!

~Jupe

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Since you do not specifies I am assuming you have XP installed

"Please plug in "C-Media 6501 Sound" and install driver again."
1-Is your Audio device Enable in the Bios?

2-In the section Utilities of your motherboard download page you have this patch that may help.
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003 HD Audio Patch KB888111

"Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus"
3-Sometimes until this device is working your audio will not work, install this driver Microsoft UAA Bus Driver XP

4-If you have not done it yet you should also install the Chipset Drivers for your motherboard

Hope one of these will help

Jupebox

Jupebox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I'm running XP - sorry for not mentioning that!

I'll try the things you've suggested as soon as I can. Hopefully something works!