Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can no longer find WiFi

• Please log in to reply

monkeymadeline

monkeymadeline

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello.. I'm new to this, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes.

For about a month now, I haven't had an WiFi at my house. I used to have something called Netgear that worked fine on my iTouch, but then it stopped connecting to the internet. However, Netgear still showed up. Next, linksys began showing up occasionally and only in some areas of the house, instead of everywhere like Netgear. Linksys was the only connection that would work all the time.

In early June, both WiFi's stopped showing up. The internet access for the Wii upstairs also stopped working.

Netgear is the name of my router and Windstream is the modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Advertisements

Zapurdead

Zapurdead

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Since the linksys appears to be a router that is not yours, you would expect spotty connectivity in the house because the signal is being blocked by thick walls, an issued that is made worse when you consider that the iPod Touch's wireless receiver is not terribly strong.

There are a few possibilities I can think of at the moment. The first is that someone got into your router (it would be easy, since I'm assuming your router isn't password protected) and changed the settings. If you have physical access to your Netgear router, go ahead and reset it. There should be a small reset button somewhere on the back, and you may need a paperclip to press it. See if that causes netgear router to appear again.

Also, can you access the internet with a laptop, or with your iPod Touch if you are standing right next to your router? That way I know whether or not it is an issue with the signal being physically blocked.

Edited by Zapurdead, 08 July 2011 - 07:54 PM.