Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 corrupt - Error

• Please log in to reply

mxd6

mxd6

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello,
IE7 uploaded over IE6 and corrupt older IE files dating back to 3/11/08 as per Belarc Advisor. The IE7 browser has a black line through it (see attachment) stating, MSN TOOLBAR ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR. I went to a previous set date and the older setting is now corrupt as well (so much for XP). All hardware passed with flying colors but it must be a software problem. Dell did not provide XP disk so I have no copy of the OS.
Active X will not upload or will anything else. Even going to "guest" user, that XP allows seems to be fine but doesn't have the authorization to upload to my laptop. So, I can't run Active X and upload to correct the problem. I could be hear all night writing a novel on the problem but the basics and attachment is all you need for now. Please advise if there is more info you require. I will respond immediately. This is my second attempt to write in as the first was lost when spell check was used.
IE7 seems to be tied into the OP so removing from system may cause me more damage.
XP-3 is OP with IE6 as my primary browser until IE7 automatically took over.
Yahoo brower is my proxy and without it, I wouldn't be able to get this far.
Thanks and I look forward to your reply.....I will stay with this all night so fire away.
Many thanks and God Bless!
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Print screen MS.JPG

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
First, upgrade to Internet Explorer 8.
Then, upgrade the MSN Toolbar. Or just remove it altogether.
Finally, install another browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Use it instead of IE.
If your computer is new enough, upgrade to Windows 7.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello,

I can not download to the laptop in it's current condition. ActiveX will is run by IE tool bar that is corrupted.
I think the only way out of this mess is to removed Service Pack 3 and removed everything to do with IE7 for XP (my OS).
Adding another version to a corrupt IE7 likely damage files within XP and if that is the case, they should be repaired before moving deeper into addiitional, more advanced IE browswe. MS have all these linked to another in one form or another. The problem is Dell did not provide me a "XP repair or disk of any kind other than the drivers for XP".

I have backed up the the files so I may try what I suggested then wipe the HD clean and start over rebuilding from scratch as this is a software issue onlty.
Only if I knew a propmt commmand to active ACTIVE X things might be easier. IE7 is sure a pain.....his cause is totally MS not mine. I could live with it if it was my mistakes, but it is not!!!

Thanks!!!!

how can I over-ride ActiveX?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
If you cannot download with your system, find another one to download with. You can then transfer the files using a USB thumb drive.
Remove the toolbar, then install IE8 and another browser.
ActiveX has little to do with this. Plus IE8 should (theoretically) fix damaged/missing files.
Also, it is unreasonable to blame MS. ActiveX has been used on multiple computers with little problems.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

If you cannot download with your system, find another one to download with. You can then transfer the files using a USB thumb drive.
Remove the toolbar, then install IE8 and another browser.
ActiveX has little to do with this. Plus IE8 should (theoretically) fix damaged/missing files.
Also, it is unreasonable to blame MS. ActiveX has been used on multiple computers with little problems.

Will not work due to error regarding missing KEY.......this is not good!!

It all started with MS forcing the download of IE7 without my authorization so yes, MS gets the hit for forcing us to use their BING browser. If I wanted IE7 or 8 I would have downloaded it myself. Going into a previous set point corrpted even more files now I can't even get on the net......hardly my mistake. I'm man enough to admit if I screwed up but that isn't the case.
MS is losing many to MAC and I can see why. MS is doing their best to ensure everyone gets off XP and their greatest screw-up Vista. Look at all the secuity uploads and patches from these twp OS that were never tested correctly!! MS is not liked and I proud to say I'm one of them. This isn't my first rodeo but MS is the last bull I'll ride. Greed and money.....Bill gates and the boys have been sued and tatooed for their antics all over the world. But when they damage my system because they are pushing BING.........I'll leave it at that. I feel better but good ole Dell never supplied a Recovery or OEM CD.....love it!!!
God Bless America!!!

Edited by mxd6, 11 July 2011 - 05:34 PM.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, with XP you can not use SYSTEM RESTORE after these types of problems. XP was preloaded by Dell 3 years ago so I was out of luck trying to gain access to anything due to my warranty expired - thanks Dell......really appreciated. Due to my other programs I was not prepared to purchase Windows 7 so I purchased XP Pro SP3 on eBay.....be sure to buy SP3 because MS in not supporting anything less.

With XP Pro SP3 it took days to for all the fixes, updates and sevice packs MS offers for my OS, Windows and Office. A little word of advice, DO NOT LOAD IE7 but go directly to IE8 for Yahoo, this will keep BING in-check with your new browser.

Any questions left me know.......back-up everything before you try to replace IE6/7/8. IE9 is for Windows 7 only.

All is well and running faster than ever......a blessing in disguise? At the time it wasn't but I think it was worth it.
Another major problem and Windows 7 is excellent OS with added security features built in. Their best OS to-day.

Good luck,

MXD6