Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer restore to factory settings. will it erase the data from other dr

• Please log in to reply

ser09gio

ser09gio

• Pip
  • 0 posts
hi, windows no longer starts and i get a message prompting me to repair my system. i tried a couple of times selecting the option to 'restore and keep the data"

however, after it's finished backing up and attempts a restore i get an error saying that the restore failed as teh file is corrupted adn i should 'restore to factory settings'.

the option 'restore to factory settings' warns me that i would lose everything on drive C:. If i have a partition and a D: drive would it keep the data on D:?

thanks

sergio

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi ser09gio

This isn't in the correct forum. Maybe a moderator will move it so you get better visibility and help.

To answer your question. It depends. The destructive recovery will take it back to day 1. If at day 1 there was only 1 partition for the entire drive © and you have repartitioned to a C and D, then you will lose the D partition.

I am assuming you have 1 physical hard drive with a C and D partition.
Not knowing whether you have a laptop or desktop, I will offer a couple suggestions.
1. Slave the drive to another computer to get the drive off.
2. Use a live linux cd to get the data. This boots from and runs from the cd. Linux CD boot

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I've moved this tooic to the Windows7 and Vista forum. :)

Regards,
Olrik

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep we need to know if it is a laptop or desktop
Is there more then one physical drive in the system if it is a desktop?