Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please recommend a replacement for ASUS P5N32-e SLI

• Please log in to reply

mohavepc

mohavepc

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello all:
I am looking for a decent replacement for a dead Asus P5N32-e SLI. The bios has bricked after an install of Win7 on 4gb of ram. got a bad checksum so I cleared the bios and reset the parameters in the bios. apon reboot it was dead, Fans kick on, dvd spins, hdd spins up but it hangs at a black screen, disconnected everything but power, pulled memory and no beeps. (yes it has a case speaker on the right header) tried to flash the bios and it came up duing the flash but had about 20 blocks in red that said cannot write. beeped 3 times, rebooted then nothing. it wont even take the flash from a floppy as the floppy never powers up (tried 3 differnt floppy drives). Tried a usb mouse and kbd then ps2 Ms & KBd. this thing bricked before the attempted bios flash so I know the flash didnt cause it. Have looked at the board and see no damaged areas or caps.
I know there was a way to force an asus mobo to read from a floppy with a keypress but I can't seem to find it again nor remember where I found it. I think if it has red cant write blocks then the chip has failed. Looked into replacement chip but how stable are the replacements? Asus has a bad rep on this particular motherboard so I would love to hear from others what they would use to replace it.

Thank you

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Some info that MAY be of use.

Review, > http://www.bit-tech....n32e_sli_plus/1

The Asus Stiker refered to in the above article, > http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

Appendix III. Core 2 Motherboards – A Complete List of

> http://www.avsforum....2&page=6#NF600i

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
How old is that motherboard? Have you contacted ASUS? ASUS has one of the best reputations - and they want to keep it. I would call them and see about a RMA - even if the warranty has expired - especially if that board has a history of this problem.

And I would certainly swap power supplies with a known good one before even thinking about replacing the motherboard.

What type Windows license do you have? Note if OEM/System Builder, then your hands are tied as it can only be transferred to a new motherboard if the following conditions are met:

1. The motherboard replacement MUST be due to the original board failing,

AND,

2. The replacement board MUST be the exact brand and model number, or the manufacturer's replacement if the original is no longer in production or available.

If you have a boxed, full "Retail" version of Windows, then no problem. That is completely transferable to any new motherboard.

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

How old is that motherboard? Have you contacted ASUS? ASUS has one of the best reputations - and they want to keep it. I would call them and see about a RMA - even if the warranty has expired - especially if that board has a history of this problem.

[i]Motherboard bought 12/07 then RMA'd 12/08 and again 5/10[/i]

And I would certainly swap power supplies with a known good one before even thinking about replacing the motherboard.

New PSU (first test)

What type Windows license do you have? Note if OEM/System Builder, then your hands are tied as it can only be transferred to a new motherboard if the following conditions are met:

Retail/custom build
[

indent]1. The motherboard replacement MUST be due to the original board failing,

AND,

2. The replacement board MUST be the exact brand and model number, or the manufacturer's replacement if the original is no longer in production or available. [/indent]If you have a boxed, full "Retail" version of Windows, then no problem. That is completely transferable to any new motherboard.

Edited by mohavepc, 11 July 2011 - 09:39 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Retail/Custom built? Don't know what you mean.

It seems to me, your warranty period should still be good if you got an RMA last year.

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Retail/Custom built? Don't know what you mean.

It seems to me, your warranty period should still be good if you got an RMA last year.

Retail lic on the win7 and the original win/vista PC is a custom build

ASUS has said that the warranty is based on the time of purchase. I argued but havent heard anything yet.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

ASUS has said that the warranty is based on the time of purchase. I argued but havent heard anything yet.

I was afraid of that. I wish I had more to offer. Sorry.

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I was afraid of that. I wish I had more to offer. Sorry.

Any recomendations on a decent intel sli board that is socket 775 and ddr2?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I've always liked Gigabyte boards. They have several to choose, from.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here is a list from Tiger Direct of 775 socket ddr2 mobo's.

NewEgg list is HERE

Advertisements

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
lol...very non commital guys. thanks for the heads up though. I like Gigabyte as well but did not see an sli model with ddr2. may just have to bite the bullet and get 4gb of ddr3. would be better anyhow. I might just start from scratch too I dunno I hate to waste a good proc and memory. *sigh*.

Edited by mohavepc, 11 July 2011 - 01:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am a Asus man myself. The thing is you are asking us for our opinion of what is a good replacement and we can only suggest what each us believe our best boards are. What I gave you in the two links was a page of boards that you could compare and narrow down your choices from there. Once you have done that then we can help even further with researching the boards and maybe come up with one or two that will fit your requirements. We are willing to help but in the end the final decision is yours so we realistically are only giving you options.
I myself have used Asus boards for the past 10 years and have never had a problem with a rma or a dead board when bought new. I find them dependable and fast.
On the other side I don't like Intel as much as I like AMD CPU's but that doesn't mean Intel is bad just my personal preference.

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
sorry rshaffer61 I meant the non commital as a joke. I like ASUs for the most part but have had issues. especially with Bios. Gigabyte however I havent had one quit yet. I sell a lot of Gigabyte and Asus. I wanted this machine to just play around with my RC flight sim not a workhorse per se but it still needs a solid mobo. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know if I need more direction. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bios as in update? :)

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes and no. let me explain. I have had a few of the asus boards out of the box that say on the box they support multi core but don't. A call to asus and they say "Flash the bios". I really don't think it's appropriate that I should have to right out of the box. second part is using a floppy is the best but what about the units that no longer support floppy? well Asus says use either a dvd or usb. and I have had both crash with the unable to write syndrome. I would say 1 out of 10 need the bios flash and 1 out of 30 fail. the ones that take are usually stable after. this particular board went a year before it died to be rma'd the next board went a year then the last went 6 months. instead of say sending me a newer board for an upgraded price thier response is to get a new computer. Granted this is an older machine now but with all the headaches this has produced I feel jilted. probably should not but I do.