Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer sluggish

• Please log in to reply

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

OK I did this. Haven't done the defrag yet as I assume that'll take a long time, but I did the Analyze.
No real information given, just says

Analysis Complete. Fragmented 1303 files.
Under the System Health tab, Junk Files: 3, Registry: 54 errors, Security: No Problems.

I need to mention - you may remember from above I said my IE is somehow not working. When I went to the Registry's 54 errors and tried to see the report it actually opened in IE! That's what I'm using right now. I want to put an icon for this on my desktop but can't figure out how to. I tried saving Yahoo to my desktop by going to it in IE and then Saving As, but when I saw the icon on my desktop it was set to open in Firefox somehow. Is there anything I can do to make IE work on demand, now that its open right now? Kinda urgent to answer this one as IE will prolly close at some point w/ all the diagnostics going on :)

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Now that IE is working I can do this!

My link

I've already done TFC btw. Just need to do the defrag.

Edited by bigdan, 11 July 2011 - 09:27 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK I did this. Haven't done the defrag yet as I assume that'll take a long time, but I did the Analyze.

Nope Auslogics takes less then 30 minutes normally.
Your Pc Pit Stop log is a mess. :)
The first thing I see is free space on your C drive is at 16% which is getting very close to the point that the MBR can become corrupted.
It sounds like FF has been made your default browser and that is why everything tries to open in it.
When was the last time you did a windows update through Microsoft's site?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also your restore points are using a lot of drive space and can be reduced.

If you would like to make System Restore use less disk space, here's how:

Go to Start>> Control Panel
Double click the System icon
Click the System Restore tab
If you have a single partition, click the Settings button and reduce the disk space allocation by sliding the bar to the left. If you have multiple partitions, select the partition and then click the Settings button. Again, sliding the bar to the left reduces the disk allocation.
When finished, click OK

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK I changed the Restore allocation. For C I changed it to 5% i.e 7.5 GB. What's the recommended amount?
Btw I not quite sure what a System Restore does. If I have a virus and then restore, does the virus go away? What about any work I do, on, say, an Excel file, or saving a bookmark in my browser. Would that disappear?

Your Pc Pit Stop log is a mess. :)
The first thing I see is free space on your C drive is at 16% which is getting very close to the point that the MBR can become corrupted.
It sounds like FF has been made your default browser and that is why everything tries to open in it.
When was the last time you did a windows update through Microsoft's site?

>The first thing I see is free space on your C drive is at 16% which is getting very close to the point that the MBR can become corrupted.

I dont know what the MBR is, but isnt having 16% space a good thing?

>When was the last time you did a windows update through Microsoft's site?

No idea. A year ago?

>Your Pc Pit Stop log is a mess. :unsure:

Yes it said my processor speed is in bottom 2%. Is processor more imp or RAM?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I dont know what the MBR is, ?

MBR

but isnt having 16% space a good thing

No think of it as a pie. Would you want a half a pie or a quarter of the pie?

No idea. A year ago?

Need to do this :)

Your Pc Pit Stop log is a mess. :unsure:

This is the least of your issues

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK I did Auslogics. Is there anythign there you need ot see? The defrag took about 90 mins btw. Is that too long?

but isnt having 16% space a good thing

No think of it as a pie. Would you want a half a pie or a quarter of the pie?

So how much free space is wanted? I thought you said 10% min, 15% is good.

No idea. A year ago?

Need to do this :)

I checked, this is on auto-update. So I must've done it a number of times. Did so again after your last message.

Your Pc Pit Stop log is a mess. :unsure:

This is the least of your issues

Is there something I should do w/ the Pitstop info?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is there anythign there you need ot see? The defrag took about 90 mins btw. Is that too long?

Nothing I need to see and 90 minutes isn't bad considering the space it was working with.

So how much free space is wanted? I thought you said 10% min, 15% is good.

10% absolutely minimum
15% is much more preferred to be honest... so at 16% you are good but just keep a eye on it.

I checked, this is on auto-update. So I must've done it a number of times. Did so again after your last message.

Good job and good ideal to do it just to be sure.

Is there something I should do w/ the Pitstop info?

That is what I am going through as we progress.

For C I changed it to 5% i.e 7.5 GB. What's the recommended amount?

You could actually drop this to 3%

Next issue we need to work on is your Display adapter and Sound drivers look to be old. I am trying to locate the drivers on foxconn's website HERE

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
part of me suspected it was the display adapter to be honest. well i didnt know what that was but i suspected it might be display related, since i did notice a slow down after i plugged in a new monitor. tho i wasn't sure about that. so that sounds like a great idea. thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Out of date drivers can cause all kinds of issues.
Can you get me the make and model of your system?

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
its not a branded computer. got it from a small store, second hand. is there any way to check this?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give Foxconn a call from the listed numbers HERE and see if they can direct you to the original drivers for that motherboard.
Once you get them all burn them to a cd so you have them in one place.

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
aight will do so. does this mean i have a foxcon mobo?

EDIT - called them, said to get model number and call back. but i checked device manager and there dont really seem to be any issues. the only yellow exclamations are next to network adapters, which all have the name hotspot in them. i have a program called hotspot shield which allows me to hide my ip so this seems related to that. so is there still a mobo issue even tho there's no exclamations?

Edited by bigdan, 13 July 2011 - 06:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Main Board Make Foxconn
Main Board Model 8657MF-series

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

so is there still a mobo issue even tho there's no exclamations?

The only issue is the display driver and the sound driver I see are old and should be updated. When on the phone with Foxconn and they finally get to your motherboard ask them to direct you to updated drivers and not original drivers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 18 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.