Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I turn off wireless connection to specific machines?

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Is it possible to turn off a wireless connections to specific computer on that wireless network? I have a Netgear N300 WNR2000 wireless router running on Windows 7. What I would like to be able to do if, if possible, is to turn off the wireless connection going to just one of the two laptops running on this network. I want to be able to turn my son's Internet connection off from the wireless connection but still have my wife be able to access the wireless network at the same time. If it involves more equipment please let me know. I don't think this is possible but if it is, this would be the place someone would know how.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scomar

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory, yes if the firmware of the router allows it. Most of them don't but there are exception to this rule. It would also involve fixing the IP address on your son's machine.

Of course an alternative way of handling this situation rather than playing with wireless routers is to simply remove the wireless adapter, if external, from your son's room at the designated time.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi scomar,

Most routers allow you to specifically allow or deny a certain computer on a network by using something called MAC address filtering. Basically this will allow you to say what computers can or can not access the network. For your specific router I found this page on the netgear website: http://documentation...2000-04-14.html This should explain it more.

Netgear's Routers also come with free parental controls which you may be interested in: http://countries.netgear.com/lpc

Any questions feel free to ask.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks! Hendaz,

The MAC address thing works great!

Thanks for the help.

Scomar