Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3.3v Probs

• Please log in to reply

britabroad

britabroad

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all,

My first post here, and the reason why I joined the Forums.

A bit strange this one, especially as my technology gland is highly under developed, so please bare with me.

I have a new rig with an ASUS P8P67 Pro board and, originally, an Antec 650W PSU.
Everything was running via a 500W UPS really well for a week or so. Then I loaded a game, turned it on and ...
UPS kicked in and closed the system down.

The voltage reading showed the 3.3v to be about 10% too high.
Someone on another site told me that it sounded like the PSU was faulty, and suggested replacing it, which I did.
Enter a Corsair TX650W PSU.

The voltage readings on this were v good. Loaded the game and ... UPS closed the system down again.
Then, after re booting everything, the 3.3v reading went up to 3.97v for no apparant reason.

Sounds like a faulty UPS now, I was told.
I unplugged everything from the UPS and turned it all on again straight from the wall socket. This time, after
1 minute, the 3.3v reading dropped to 2.96v.

All other readings and temperatures are normal and stable.

Any ideas, advice, etc (in not too Geekspeak) would be very much appreciated, before I either punch the guy who
assembled the rig, or throw it against a wall out of frustration.

ps You´re talking to a guy who thought that NVIDEA was a type of social disease until fairly recently,
so replies in kids English would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

UPS kicked in and closed the system down.

As if you lost power? Do you have your UPS set to immediately shut down? Have you tested your UPS? The best way is yank the plug out of the wall and see if your computer crashes - but that would be bad so I don't recommend that. Instead, I plug two lamps with 150W bulbs into the UPS, then yank the plug and see if it can hold 300W.

Also, note that UPS batteries typically need to be replaced every 3 years.

Posted Image

What are you measuring with?

You might consider a AC Outlet Tester. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) Indicator as they can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart.