128 MB ATI RADEON X600 SE
graphics cards. I tried to update the driver but it doesn't update. The computer goes badda-bing badda-bong but when I look in Device Manager, the old driver is still there!
I tried many times. First I tried to install OVER the old driver.
Then I tried uninstalling the old driver before installing the new one.
I did scans for registry problems, (with EUSING FREE REGISTRY CLEANER).
I also scanned with AVAST and SPYBOT.
I guess I was tired and depressed yesterday and I shouldn't've attempted something like this at that time! I downloaded and installed two programs, (reg cleaners), (WiseFixer and one other that seemed to be the same program with a different name), that I uninstalled a few minutes later because I didn't really trust them after they tried to charge me money after coming up with a bizillion problems that "needed to be fixed by their program". (I wouldn't've had a problem with them if they charged up front but when something acts a little sneaky like that, I guess I get nervous.
I stoopidly did that BEFORE I used EUSING FREE REG CLEANER.
I ended up having to restore the system because after trying to update that driver, the computer was now hardly working at all! Every command I gave it, took forever to complete! Just getting Properties from My Computer took, maybe, almost 2 minutes!!!
Now everything seems to be working again but I still have the old driver.
The main reason why I want this slightly newer driver for my Radeom video cards is I'm running X-Plane flight simulator... and it's not running quite right. I was told by the company that there was a graphics driver problem.
Anyway, so now I'm gonna be super cautious, (unlike yesterday). That's why I'm asking for help here.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
When I clicked on "REMOVE" for the ATI Utility, (I think it said "Uninstall Utility), a message came up saying: Inisialization Error. I couldn't stop the process. It looked like the process was going to hang but it didn't. I went through the whole process of restarting and then trying to install the new driver. When the computer restarted, a new message came up saying:
cli.exe - Common Language Runtime ...
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Rrocess id=0xa0 (160), Thread id=0x90 (144).
Click to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.
And I looked in MyComputer and the old driver is still there.
I'm now gonna restore to a restore point I created earlier today.