Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

open close open.. push shut

• Please log in to reply

Kallamadia

Kallamadia

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I turn my computer on my CD drive open and the dish comes all the way out. I'm a firm believer in pushing the button to get it to go back in so I press the button and then it comes back out again. It won't let me push the button after that so I'm forced to push it shut. Well since I pushed it shut (which seems to be the only way to get it to close after it comes out the SECOND time) it won't load CDs. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Advertisements

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
You could have a virus, what kind of CD-Drive is it?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Also, how old is the drive?

Kallamadia

Kallamadia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it is a Mitsumi MTCR-4804 TE... It's for my HP. it was made in 2000. It's a 4x/4x/24x Cd-R/RW.

truly_unruly

truly_unruly

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem and my computer now doesn't recognize the cd drive at all. I tried rebooting and got a strange message "microsoft updating system" before it would reboot. It took several tries after that before I could log on as my computer kept "freezing" on me. I have run my virus scanner and it didn't find a virus so I am lost as to what has happened. :tazz: I also detected an electrical burning smell when all of this started.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
callamada, did you check for a virus?

turly unruly (love that name),

please start your own thread, but first

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Sorry I dont have nothing to add but maybe pick up a new cd-burner.

That is very strange :tazz: