Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer randomly shuts itself down no warning

• Please log in to reply

chuckydj

chuckydj

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I cleaned it out about .... hmmm .... never why?

View Post

First time posting here. You are certainly not kidding about this one. I have had this exact problem in the past with a fan going out. Didn't know what the problem was when the pc started shutting down and sometimes wouldn't even restart right away. After a month or so of this problem one day the computer started smoking in the back and I had to replace just about everything..2 hard drives..cd and dvd rom and a couple other pieces. With labor cost me over $400. ;) I am currently having a similar problem. Smells like smoke or something and my pc shut down last night in middle of night. Did it again today so I'm gonna check the fans out. Great advise here. :tazz:

Advertisements

leelublue

leelublue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hiyall, thanks for replys was away for a week, ok so it is not restarting, just shutting down...the fan problem ie cleaning sounds good to me, can ayone tell me how to check it and then clean it? much thanks leelu

chuckydj

chuckydj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having this same problem right now. My fan was found to be defective as well. I called a few computer repair shops and one of them asked me if I could spin the fan on the power supply freely and I tried but I had to use a pen to manually move it at all and it took some pressure just to do that. I took it to a friend who fixes pc's and he said it would be best to replace the power supply and the fan since it was burning then it probably will be on its way out also. He said it wasn't totally dead yet cause the pc powered back on for a few minutes before it would shut itself down due to overheating to protect itself. The fan and back of pc had a lot of dust on it also but didn't seem like dust could cause the fan to be stuck that good. So I ordered a new power supply. Does this sound like the best sollution in this case? Thanks.