Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Response

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Please can anybody tell me if there is a technical reason why tapping the space bar jogs the response ?

Very often the response is a bit slow and I have found that tapping the space bar seems to jog it into life. Is it imagination or does this signal something in Windows that gives it a kick start ?

I did read something on the web that explained it does, but cannot find the article again.

Many thanks
John

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post further details please of the problem, the response to what?
The make and model of the computer if branded
A description of what is slow and when etc.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Post further details please of the problem, the response to what?
The make and model of the computer if branded
A description of what is slow and when etc.

Simple - Response ? That is a feature that when you click on something showing on your computer it is the time interval taken for the requested item to come on screen. We all have it every time we logon to a computer. You click and then wait - my thread is about the length of the wait. Surely I do not need to define "Response" ?

And low and behold, response is infinitely variable, sometimes it is rapid, sometimes it is not. It depends on the Internet load, just like a telephone line.

I operate Windows XP 2000 Home with SP3.

It is just a small question, no great technical effort is necessary.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Surely I do not need to define "Response" ?

It is just a small question, no great technical effort is necessary.

I was attempting to establish if the reponse was slow to all commands, whether it be opening a program from a shortcut, opening only certain types of programs, restricted to only commands relying on an internet connection etc.

However, I have absolutely no idea if anyone else will post to assist you. I will NOT be attempting to help you further as I find the working of your reply completely unacceptable on a forum that offers FREE advice.
For clarification purposes that is MY opinion, I am not authorised to speak for the opinion of this site.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 July 2011 - 07:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no technical reason for tapping the space bar and what is perceived as quicker response time is not a reality.
The amount of response time can be affected by several options which we can explore if you would like. As for a simple question and a simple response I have stated that above.
As far as what Macboatmaster was asking it is a standard question in making an informative response to know what kind of system we are talking about as well system specs.
Since you have provided the minimum information we cannot respond with any suggestions but only to your question.
No it makes no difference at all in tapping the space bar key.
The fact it seems to take a shorter amount of time is most likely the fact you are concentrating on the motion of tapping the space bar and not sitting waiting for the response to happen.
If you would like to do some diagnostics and run some programs to hopefully increase the speed of your system I will be happy to help.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

There is no technical reason for tapping the space bar and what is perceived as quicker response time is not a reality.
The amount of response time can be affected by several options which we can explore if you would like. As for a simple question and a simple response I have stated that above.
As far as what Macboatmaster was asking it is a standard question in making an informative response to know what kind of system we are talking about as well system specs.
Since you have provided the minimum information we cannot respond with any suggestions but only to your question.
No it makes no difference at all in tapping the space bar key.
The fact it seems to take a shorter amount of time is most likely the fact you are concentrating on the motion of tapping the space bar and not sitting waiting for the response to happen.
If you would like to do some diagnostics and run some programs to hopefully increase the speed of your system I will be happy to help.

Thanks very much Mod, your reply is perfect for me. I just wanted confirmation from an expert that what I described was either technically valid or pure imagination. You have answered this fully.

I am sorry for any misunderstanding on this issue.
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No misunderstanding on my part as I just replied with the most realistic explanation.
My offer to assist in any way to find the cause of the slowdown is still open if you feel later you would like to continue.
Using a program like TFC will clear ALL temp, cache and cookies on your browsers which will slow down response time.
Let me know and if you are satisfied with the assistance to this point I will say I am glad I could give you a clear and precise answer.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

No misunderstanding on my part as I just replied with the most realistic explanation.
My offer to assist in any way to find the cause of the slowdown is still open if you feel later you would like to continue.
Using a program like TFC will clear ALL temp, cache and cookies on your browsers which will slow down response time.
Let me know and if you are satisfied with the assistance to this point I will say I am glad I could give you a clear and precise answer.

Dear Mod,
Yes, I am perfectly satisfied.

The whole thing started when some guy wrote that tapping the space bar gave the occasional slow response a reminder that "I am still here". I think it was on a Forum.

I tried it and it seemed to work (it still does) so my questions "Is it true or imaginary ?" and "If so, why ?" came up.

I am well aware that most electronic and mechanical devices and equipment have a feature that will kick start some operation that may lag at times or not respond, it is common design practice. Even our keyboards have an "Escape" key - it does not work, but the intention is good. So the guy`s comment seemed perfectly logical. Rather like ringing a door bell and nobody comes, so you ring it again and somebody does. In this case the first ring is the mouse click and the second the space bar.

It is a perfectly valid engineering question to which you have given a perfectly satisfactory answer, without going into a garble of unnecessary geek stuff if the subject is not immediately recognised by our knowledgeable members.

Again, thanks Mod,
John

Edited by John Bull, 30 July 2011 - 03:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome John and I am glad I could help. :)