Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows starts up, but apps won't open... (some of the time)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi. I'm having problems with my computer and it's difficult to tell if they are hardware or software related. The problems started with my computer not talking with my monitor. I started a thread regarding this issue on the hardware forum. Here's a link to that: My earlier thread on the hardware forum

To sum it up in short, it was suggested that I remove my two sticks of RAM and make sure their slots were clean of dust. I was also instructed to remove the CMOS battery and keep it out for about a minute before placing it back in place. I did both these things and the computer/monitor problem was solved.

But then I started running into other issues. It's a bit hard to describe the problems I'm facing now.... but I'll do my best. It's basically like this: it seems that most of the times when booting up my computer Windows starts up fine, all the icons of processes set to run on startup show up in the taskbar near the clock and everything looks to be running and ready to go. But I am not able to open any application, including internet browsers. Folders open fine and I'm able to open up Windows Task Manager, but other than that apps won't work properly. I'll see Firefox for example running in Windows Task Manager, but no browser window will show up.

Assuming this problem has to do with the issues I had before with my computer and display, I decided to shutdown and press the memory sticks towards the motherboard, thinking that maybe they weren't sitting perfectly in their slots. The next time I booted up all was fine and apps ran perfectly.

This morning I powered on my computer again and faced the same problem - programs would not open. But this time I noticed something else...(which may or may not have been the case the previous time) it seemed that the order in which the icons in the Task Bar (near the clock) was different from how I remembered them normally. I shut down my computer again and powered back on. Windows came up and as the icons were beginning to appear in the Task Bar, I started clicking on the little arrow which hides/expands the view of these icons. I didn't have any special reason for doing this other than to keep and eye on the order they were appearing, but this time they were set in the order I remembered them normally being in. I tried opening some programs... and all was working fine. It's hard for me to believe that clicking on the hide/expand arrow button in the Task Bar shouldn't have any affect on processes or the order they are run, but I'm just describing what happened.

Is this a Windows related issue? Or could this be happening due to hardware problems, which may or may not have caused the computer/monitor issues I had earlier?

I'm running Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Assuming this problem has to do with the issues I had before with my computer and display, I decided to shutdown and press the memory sticks towards the motherboard, thinking that maybe they weren't sitting perfectly in their slots. The next time I booted up all was fine and apps ran perfectly.

In case you are NOT aware, you cannot do that without releasing the clips at each end of the stick of ram first.

Secondly have you ever run memtest as suggested on the OTHER thread you already had running.

There is little point in having this thread and the other one both open at the same time. I suggest you continue on the other thread with PhilPower2.

I have actually requested that this thread be closed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 July 2011 - 09:50 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Closing this topic as Mac stated the issue is being taken care in your other topic. Please direct all responses to that topic.