Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp laptop oh so sloooow to load .

• Please log in to reply

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
A little later in the day. (about 1:50pm here-abouts)
At this point We have managed to make a little difference in the computer's space. At present (after dfrag and getting rid of a couple of programs ... fireworks is still being a pain in the butt however the directory for fireworks appears to be empty).
The stats are: 74.5 Total; 63.1 Used; 11.4 Free.
Considerable improvement.
Will now do a cold start and see what happens re time. Will let you know. Also have still not attempted to do anything with Super AntiSpyware or SpyBlaster and Malware. Nor have I done a complete Virus check since we have started cleaning things up. ((When the opportunity does arise the photographs can be moved (at least the better part thereof, to a new external drive. All one needs for that is a little money)).
Be back to you. Any advice on what to do next needed and will be appreciated.

Advertisements

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The results for load-time after what we have done is now 12 minutes 30 seconds.
The load time is frustratingly slow and we have done a great deal to modify the machine.
I hope there is more we can do ... hope

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry, but my last reply seems to have evaporated into outer space.
In essence after doing all we have a drive: Total 74.5 GB; Used 63Gb an Free: 11.5 GB. u
Load time from a cold start was 12 minutes 30 until the computer opened (passed Welcome and Win Music elements of load) and another 3 minutes until fully loaded for use. (Presumeably Avast does an opening basic check as part of that time).
Frustratingly it is still slow to "load" in spite of all that we have tried to do. We do clearly have more disk drive free space and a few of the unneeded programs are gone. When money allows an external hdrive will be added to move the Picture Files to (at least most of them) which will clear a great deal more space.
It is my hope that you still have a "few tricks" up your sleeve that may help us even more.
For what you have done thus far ... Thank you.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Have been to the pitstop
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24467423

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Uininstall Rogers online protection
http://help.yahoo.co.../yop-35267.html

This running with Avast and the SAS Professional could well have an adverse effect on the computer.

Also it is your computer and therefore of course the choice is yours but these are unnecessary and will certainly effect the loading of your browser page
You have a number of toolbars which will be best uninstalled
1.Torrents-Search-Engine Toolbar

2.Skype Toolbars
(5.3.7280)

3.Ask Toolbar
(1.11.3.0)

4.Vuze_Remote Toolbar

After you have done that please do this and see how it then loads.
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Please use the manual procedure and go only as far as and including step 3.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2011 - 05:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Driver Whiz 8.0.1.
Uninstall it.
http://driver-whiz.en.uptodown.com/
These programs are generally useless, they frequently offer the incorrect driver and there is no point in having them on the computer.
The only place to obtain drivers is either from the computer manufacturers site or the item manufacturer if a separate card ie Nividia etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2011 - 05:34 PM.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The not so good news at this point is that I have not yet done the clean boot routine.
The just darn good great news is, after getting rid of SuperAntispyware and Rogers Protection, as instructed the computer's stats are as follows;
Total 74.5 gb; Used 62.7; free 11.7gb.
So what is so good about that: Well,
Windows loaded in one minute
and the programs were loaded by 3 minutes from cold boot.
That, my dear sir,is a piece of magic that YOU have performed. WOW!!!
YOU should know that I re-cold booted twice to make sure what I thought I saw happen really did.
Congratulations sir.
I have no idea what more you would like me to do, and I will certainly follow your advice, but this is marvellous work.
Companies who look at this kind of problem said re-formatting the drive and re-installing windows and all of the programs was the only answer.
Geeks to go! has every right to be very proud of you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased but you misread my message I NEVER suggested uninstalling SAS.

after getting rid of SuperAntispyware and Rogers Protection, as instructed

Uininstall Rogers online protection
http://help.yahoo.co.../yop-35267.html

This running with Avast and the SAS Professional could well have an adverse effect on the computer.

I suggest you reinstall SAS. See how it is.
If it is the professional purchased edition and not the free edition then it does run in real time.
If you then have the problem again, use SAS ONLY as a scan every so often and disable the real time protection.
Keeping of course the AVAST running .

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 July 2011 - 02:15 PM.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is true, I did misread that. Perhaps a little overexuberantcy at this end. In any case, the combo of getting rid of both of those programs worked and broke the logjam. For that still, all credit to you.
I have since your last post, installed the "free" version of SAS and it works just fine. I tried to reinstall the professional version before that action and ran into troubles again so the "free version", whatever its limitations, is the better choice for this computer. I also updated Malware Bytes and it is operating. We are in the process of transferring a great number of photograpy files to a large flash hdrive (about 250 gb ... small end true, but a start to deal with the present situation and allow the freeing up of considerable hdrive space. That too, should speed things up one hopes.
We did a quick antivirus check and the same with the SAS (free) with no viruses et al but a considerable number of ad cookies which were eliminated.
At this point are their any other actions you feel we should be taking to make things run smoothly.
With great thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No, as far as I can see you are now OK.
Do not rely on the flash drive for long term storage of anything important.
If possible burn them to a CD/DVD or better still copy to an external drive, very cheap these days in relative terms and then you will have all the space you can ever need.

Thank you for being so obviously appreciative and good luck with it.

NB I am just a little confused as how you can be transferring 250Gb when you only have a hard drive that is 80Gb to start with.
YOUR HARD DRIVE
DiskDrive
WDC WD800VE-11KWT0

WESTERN DIGITAL - WD800VE-11KWT0
Model Number:WD800VE-11KWT0Brand:WESTERN DIGITALType:Hard DriveCapacity:80GBRPM:5400Interface:AT-IDE

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 July 2011 - 12:05 PM.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The 250 gb drive is the flash drive to which photos from the 75 gb drive can be transferred. Some to provide more free space.
A good external drive is in the purchase plans.
Again, thanks for all your assistance. As stated before, GeekstoGo should be proud to have you on their team.
Thank you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My mistake read it as 250Gb of files.
Good Luck.