Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Crashing on start up and when connecting to Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BarkiAl

BarkiAl

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi All,

This is a friends PC, which has been poorly for a month or two. Sometimes it will start up fine, but most times it will take an hour to boot up. He says that a blue screen comes on with a message about AVG not being found, but as yet it hasn't happened to me yet. I've offered to fix it for him as i know a bit more than he does.

I've run OTL, (report attached,) and i've been able to update AVG (Free edition 2011) and am currently running a whole computer scan. When it's finished i will post the results.

Normally i would then run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which again i've been able to update BUT have NOT run as yet. After that i would normally run SuperAntiSpyware to double check for Malware etc.

In the past this has cleared my son's and this Computer of my friend, which is used by his teenage son & daughter. Somehow between them they can infect a newly formatted & installed PC within 2 months. This time my friend wants his PC back up & running and then both of his kids will be BANNED from it as they now have their own.

I haven't had any of the problems that he described, however i did see it take 34mins to boot up at his house. If anyone can advise me regarding this i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance
Alastair

Attached Files

Advertisements

BarkiAl

BarkiAl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It's finished running AVG and came up with 3 items, i rebooted it and it hung at the welcome screen for 15mins 10 of which the hard disk light didn't flash once, so I restarted it in safe mode and am currently running another AVG scan in safemode. I will post Safe mode report once complete. Attached is the 1st AVG scan report
regards
Alastair

Attached Files

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Hi, welcome to GeeksToGo! I'm havredave, and I'll do my best to help you fix whatever it is that ails your computer.

Just a few things before we begin, to ease the process on both of us:
  • Please don't run any scanning or cleaning software without my direction, as it can make things worse and take longer in the long run.
  • Please be patient. A good cleaning can take quite a while, and usually involves many steps before it is complete. I may not post back quickly, because I often have to research issues or run ideas by my peers for a more thorough fix. Also, I'm currently still in training, so there may be a longer than normal pause between my posts as I get expert feedback and permission to post each fix.
  • You may wish to print out each instruction post in case you lose Internet connectivity (using safe mode, for example), so you can complete the fix.
  • If you have any question on any step, or if something doesn't work as described, please stop and ask before we proceed. Better safe than sorry!
  • Please paste your logs into your replies instead of attaching them. This makes it far easier to review. Feel free to use multiple replies if you need to.
  • Please stick with me until I let you know we're finished. Even if the machine is running better, it doesn't mean it's clean.

Are you still in need of help?

I'll wait for your post before I dig in. :)

BarkiAl

BarkiAl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for your reply, however the problem is now sorted. It was a rootkit virus which was making it hang at startup and also removing the Disk from Device Manager & Disk Management. The virus was Win32.TDSS.tdl3 which was cleaned by Mcafee Rootkit Detective

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.