Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rogue:win/32FakeRean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

onnaday

onnaday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Homburg,

Thanks for the great news. I really appreciate all your help. I do have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. I followed your recommendations about prevention for future infections. I tried updating Java, Acrobat, and Mozilla. I uninstalled McAfee, Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes. I re-downloaded a fresh version of MalwareBytes and installed Avast. The computer seems very slow at start-up.

1. The Avast software ran a Boot-time scan at start-up that took 2+ hours. I saw the following while the scan was running: C:\windows\SystemWOW64\config\systemprofileappdata\local\Microsoft\Windows|TemporaryInternetfiles\Content.IE5\XJTCH52Q\avvdat{1}.cab|>avvscan.dat Error 42127. CAB archive is corrupted. Is this something that is of concern?

2. The repairs that you assisted with are for the entire computer? Do I need to scan my son's desktop settings separately?

3. Are MalwareBytes and Avast compatable to have installed at the same time?

4. Should I just uninstall Adobe and then get a fresh version?

Thanks for taking the time to review my questions. I appreciate your help more than you know!!

Onnaday

Advertisements

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
Hi,

1. The Avast software ran a Boot-time scan at start-up that took 2+ hours. I saw the following while the scan was running: C:\windows\SystemWOW64\config\systemprofileappdata\local\Microsoft\Windows|TemporaryInternetfiles\Content.IE5\XJTCH52Q\avvdat{1}.cab|>avvscan.dat Error 42127. CAB archive is corrupted. Is this something that is of concern?

It looks like a corrupt archive file which can be safely deleted. We'll try to do it with TFC.

2. The repairs that you assisted with are for the entire computer? Do I need to scan my son's desktop settings separately?

All the scans we done were for "All Users" so no further scans are required.

3. Are MalwareBytes and Avast compatable to have installed at the same time?

They are both ok to have at the same time. Run MalwareBytes every couple of weeks and Avast will be giving you real time protection.

4. Should I just uninstall Adobe and then get a fresh version?

You could uninstall using add/remove programs and download the latest version from here

Please do the following:

Step 1:

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

Step 2:

We'll tidy up with a defrag which may also speed up the PC

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Please do a Boot Defrag and disc check

Posted Image

Homburg

onnaday

onnaday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Homburg,

Thanks for the TFC and Puran Defrag links. I would like to thank you once again for all your help. You get 5 Stars from me for sure!

Have a wonderful day!

Onnaday

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.