Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Great Firefox News

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Read as fast as possible!
http://news.softpedi...nees-2416.shtml

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Cool! I were waiting for these news all a long ;)
Hopefully IE goes to the ground..
Seriously looks like it.
Thanks for the link.
- Rawe :tazz:

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I'm not real smart in programming just yet, but it said that IE is programmed into the OS, which is something I've never really thought about. With that being the case, doesn't that give hackers an open opportunity to hack into someone's OS if they are running IE? :tazz:

Edited by boob, 03 June 2005 - 02:43 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Read as fast as possible!
http://news.softpedi...nees-2416.shtml

View Post

I appreciated this fact which is why I use Firefox as my main browser and only use the others when required for viewing pages during web design or for sites like M$ that require IE to download :

A study of the Secunia security company shows that regardless of all the security bugs recently discovered, the users haven’t lost their faith in the “Internet’s sly fox”, but quite the opposite, the speed at which the open-source developers took care of these problems was highly appreciated.

As long as IE is so integrated into Windows, your OS will always be at risk for malware and very vicious viruii that can take over your PC without you knowing it.

Ron

seth20032

seth20032

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I appreciated this fact which is why I use Firefox as my main browser and only use the others when required for viewing pages during web design or for sites like M$ that require IE to download :
As long as IE is so integrated into Windows, your OS will always be at risk for malware and very vicious viruii that can take over your PC without you knowing it.

Ron

View Post

thats a good point. major payne, but can u pls explain how they would do that.

Geekzilla

Geekzilla

• Pip
  • 4 posts
That is great news Firefox all the way :tazz: down wit I.E ;) !!!!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

thats a good point. major payne, but can u pls explain how they would do that.

View Post

Sorry for being slow getting back to you on this question. Might want to read the following information at the links provided ;

1) Security Reference Guide - Malware

2) Specific Virus Explanation

3) Definition of Malware - Antivirus World

4) RootKits

5) RootKits - Wikipedia

Hope these will help answer your question for starters.

Ron

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Good article, but consider this.
At the moment, IE as it comes out the box is very functional but extremely vulnerable. It can quickly be made much more secure, but the sad fact is that most users dont, as a result IE is used poorly by 80% of the market. Firefox however is safer in its default settings than IE, but if IE is hardened properly, frankly there isnt a lot in it.

Most of the scummers target the IE exploits, but if Firefox were the dominant browser, how long do you think it would be before the effort expended on stuffing IE was redirected to attack Firefox. You can already see it happening, where Firefox was used recently as the attack vector to get to IE.

Face up to it, ALL software is vulnerable.

UKBiker

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Good news but from a biased source. W3schools is a developer hangout, and so receives visitors from a more technical apt crowd, therefore more use Firefox. Other studies should Firefox only around 10-15%.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Browser Security :

If you grabbed your copy of Firefox or Mozilla a few months ago, you're at risk. Programmers have discovered at least 28 holes in Firefox since January 1. The Mozilla browser shared 27 of those problems with Firefox. You must install a new copy of the browser. Use Secunia's tool to see whether your browser is vulnerable:

Mozilla Products Arbitrary Memory Exposure Test

Be sure and read all.

The right piece of malware could trigger older versions of Mozilla or Firefox to launch programs at will or to read data from the browser cache out of memory, threatening your privacy by exposing your browser history, search queries, and possibly passwords.

Java Vulnerability

Merely patching your browser isn't enough. Security researchers recently discovered an exploit that uses the browser plug-in Java to worm its way through Firefox to get to IE. It then uses IE to launch a blizzard of pop-ups.

That means you have to keep up-to-date on all those IE fixes you thought you could ignore. And you have to make sure that any browser add-ons such as Java are secure.

If you don't know which version of Java you have, use the Java Tester to find out:

Java Tester

You can pick up the latest version from Sun:

java.com

I'm probably late on this info for some people. I'm still sticking with Firefox as main browser. :tazz: Safe surfing.

Ron

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
The only thing I use IE for is Windows update :tazz:

FIREFOX OWNAGE!

Emery

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Me too.

(Use IE only for Windows Updates, that is)

- Rawe :tazz: