Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user comments will not display on newspaper website - firefox and IE 8

• Please log in to reply

mo713

mo713

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have not had any problems with this issue before today. Starting today only, a newspaper website that I visit often, was having trouble displaying the user comments which follow most news articles. Instead of displaying the list of comments, the section that they normally occupy at the bottom of the page will just show the blinking progress bars (throbbing.gif) which look like a facebook comment section. This blinking continues in an endless loop and the comments never will appear. The rest of the page, other sections except comments, still render normally. This was using firefox 3.6 .

So I then opened MS IE 8 and tried again. The problem continued. I closed IE 8 and then opened an OLD version of Maxthon browser (1.6.5) which I am using to type this post. The comments section displays normally.

Later, I thought to click on the "compatibility view" button in IE 8, and the page reloaded and the comments again displayed. After awhile, IE 8 would not work with or without the compatibility mode. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It should be noted that previously, it just worked, and no special compat. mode was ever needed.

Firefox 3.6 definitely does not display properly. However, I have a second profile firefox shortcut which I ran under Windows 2000 compatibility mode, and it seems to work part of the time. But my normal firefox still does not work, and my normal IE 8 does not work, even though they both worked just fine everyday in the past up until now. This problem only started today. And remember, the old maxthon browser still works.

An example web page to see this issue is

http://www.chron.com...tx/7658723.html

or

http://www.chron.com...tx/7658723.html

The comments should display shortly after seeing the blinking bars... but on my browsers the comments never appear.

I would like to think that the website is at fault, but some browsers work, and other people have been able to comment, presumably with standard browsers. So another guess I have is that something got altered in my OS settings or some system files that is conflicting with this web page?

Please help !!!! :)

Edited by mo713, 19 July 2011 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

mo713

mo713

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
This issue has resolved itself. But why has it not been responded to after more than a week?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We have been very busy so I apologize for your topic going unanswered.
There is a special forum for topics that have not had a answer in 3 days which would have gotten your topic responded to then. It is the Waiting Room located HERE.