Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain Switch

• Please log in to reply

Xany

Xany

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im trying to change domains on a site hosted by IPowerWeb...The domain Im using now is registered with Network Solutions and is about 4 years old. However I need to change it to a domain I've just registered with IPowerWeb. It seemed to be simple enough so I rushed right into it, bought the domain name and have been stuck since that point...lol.

The domain with Network Solutions used to point at a Freeservers website...I then decided I wanted a real site and did away with the Freeservers site and built one on IPowerWeb. The problem is that its been about 2 years and I have forgotten just what I did to make the domain transfer to the new site work so smoothly.

Basically what Im trying to do is replace the old domain with the new one...Im sure its pretty simple and im just being retarded but if anyone could give me the steps I need to take to make the switch I would appreciate the help greatly.

Advertisements

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Im trying to change domains on a site hosted by IPowerWeb...The domain Im using now is registered with Network Solutions and is about 4 years old. However I need to change it to a domain I've just registered with IPowerWeb. It seemed to be simple enough so I rushed right into it, bought the domain name and have been stuck since that point...lol.

The domain with Network Solutions used to point at a Freeservers website...I then decided I wanted a real site and did away with the Freeservers site and built one on IPowerWeb. The problem is that its been about 2 years and I have forgotten just what I did to make the domain transfer to the new site work so smoothly.

Basically what Im trying to do is replace the old domain with the new one...Im sure its pretty simple and im just being retarded but if anyone could give me the steps I need to take to make the switch I would appreciate the help greatly.

View Post

Just notify your registrar to change to your new DNS nameservers. i.e. Go back to where you bought your domain name and update your information.

Xany

Xany

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This is kind of where I got confused....The domain with network solutions nameservers were pointing to "ns1.ipowerweb.net & ns1.ipowerdns.com". These are the exact same as the nameservers that are set on the new domain name. The control panel is through Tucows OpenSRS, there I saw that only the IP's were different on the two sets on nameservers.

These are the nameservers for the old domain...

ns1.ipowerweb.net.[64.70.61.130]
ns2.ipowerdns.com.[12.129.206.202]

The name servers on the new domain now point to..

ns1.ipowerdns.com.[66.235.217.202]
ns2.ipowerweb.net.[66.235.217.200]

Should I just contact IPowerweb and try and go through them to figure out what I should do?

Sorry if im not getting something but your going to have to explain as if i were a 3 year old.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
You say there is a control panel ,Tucows OpenSRS, yet there is no way to change the nameservers within that control panel?

How many years is your domain good for? I ask because an easy way to do it would be to simply change registrars and make the change at that time, but you usually have to pay for another year when you transfer to another registrar.

Xany

Xany

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The old domain is good for another year and the new one is registered for one year also.

I can access my domain accout through opensrs...and the nameservers can be changed...What I dont understand is that they are the same as the old nameserver for the old domain name.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

The old domain is good for another year and the new one is registered for one year also.

I can access my domain accout through opensrs...and the nameservers can be changed...What I dont understand is that they are the same as the old nameserver for the old domain name.

View Post

They must be through the same registrar? A domain name does not have individual nameservers. i.e. Many different domains can be using the same nameserver. Does that answer your question?