Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible malware causing media players to crash

• Please log in to reply

Meltac

Meltac

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was directed here from the Applications forum, since they came to the conclusion that malware could be the cause of my problem.

So basically, my problem is that whenever I try to play any kind of video-file in any of my media players (except for VLC) they crash immediately.

Here is a link to my previous thread for more information, and so you can see which procedures we have already been through.

In advance, thanks for the help.

Attached Files

Edited by Meltac, 21 July 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Advertisements

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Hi, welcome to GeeksToGo! I'm havredave, and I'll do my best to help you fix whatever it is that ails your computer.

Just a few things before we begin, to ease the process on both of us:
  • Please don't run any scanning or cleaning software without my direction, as it can make things worse and take longer in the long run.
  • Please be patient. A good cleaning can take quite a while, and usually involves many steps before it is complete. I may not post back quickly, because I often have to research issues or run ideas by my peers for a more thorough fix. Also, I'm currently still in training, so there may be a longer than normal pause between my posts as I get expert feedback and permission to post each fix.
  • You may wish to print out each instruction post in case you lose Internet connectivity (using safe mode, for example), so you can complete the fix.
  • If you have any question on any step, or if something doesn't work as described, please stop and ask before we proceed. Better safe than sorry!
  • Please paste your logs into your replies instead of attaching them. This makes it far easier to review. Feel free to use multiple replies if you need to.
  • Please stick with me until I let you know we're finished. Even if the machine is running better, it doesn't mean it's clean.

I'm currently reviewing your situation with the help of an expert reviewer, and will get back to you as soon as possible.

I will likely post back shortly with instructions for fresh scans as well, once you respond. :)

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry for not responding sooner, was away for some time.

Thank you for looking into it, much appreciated.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Don't worry much about the timing. I'm not going anywhere. :)

I'd like you to do a few scans to make sure you're malware free.

First:

Download OTS to your Desktop and double-click on it to run it
  • Make sure you close all other programs and don't use the PC while the scan runs.
  • Put a checkmark next to all of the "Additional Scans" entries except SafeBoot Minimal and SafeBoot Network.
  • Put a checkmark in the "Scan All Users" box, near the top of the window.
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar. Make sure not to use the PC while the program is running or it can freeze.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Use the Add Reply button and post the information back here in an attachment. I will review it when it comes in. The last line is < End of Report >, so make sure that is the last line in the attached report.

Make sure you attach the report in your reply. If it is too big to upload, then zip the text file and upload it that way

Next:

Download aswMBR.exe ( 511KB ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

Click the "Scan" button to start scan
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Posted Image

Please include the attached (or pasted if you have trouble attaching) OTS scan and the aswMBR log in your next reply.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here you go.

Attached Files

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Great - going over the files now. I'll let you know (hopefully) shortly what I find, if anything.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ok, a few more scans. I may have noticed the root of your video problem in one of the OT scans that's been done. I'll pass that information back to rshaffer61 when we're finished here. He's much more likely to know any caveats with its repair than I am. :)

First:

Please open Avast!, click on Scan Computer, then select Boot-Time Scan, then Schedule Now.

Reboot the computer, and let Avast! scan. When it's finished, please include any log produced in your next reply.

Next:

Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Click the Update tab, and then the Check for Updates button to get the latest definitions.

When the update is complete, click back on the Scanner tab, select "Perform a quick scan", then click the Scan button.

Let the scan complete, and include the log produced in your next reply.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
And here you go again. Wasn't too sure about which logs, from the Avast scan, I had to attach, so I'll just attach both.

Attached Files

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ok, let me get with my reviewer and see where we go next. :)

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Great, my reviewer concurs that your machine is not infected at this time, so we'll remove the utilities used for testing, and hand you back to the OS guys. :unsure:

The reason we're removing these instead of saving them for the future is because they are updated very regularly; having an old version around isn't as viable for new infections. Downloading fresh copies is always preferred.

Please delete the following files by hand:

C:\Daniel\Downloads\MBR.dat
C:\Daniel\Downloads\aswMBR.txt
C:\Daniel\Downloads\aswMBR.exe

Next, run C:\Daniel\Downloads\OTS.exe and press the Clean Up button. It will run rather quickly, and ask for a reboot when it's finished. Go ahead and let it reboot. This will remove OTL.exe from the same folder as well.

I'll post back in your OS thread and let them know you've passed malware inspection. :)

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Okay, that sounds good. Thank you very much for your help :)