Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading to this?

• Please log in to reply

mrkenny7

mrkenny7

• Pip
  • 4 posts
first off is this a good upgrade from what i have? i know im running on a laptop and usually desktops are better but i want something
that can at least run civ5 and WoW without lag and clipping. i spend a lot of time on UDK(unreal dev. kit)and running it on my laptop is
too much of a hassle to even try to create. simply put will this(http://www.tigerdire...75283&CatId=332)run UDK, civ5, and WoW(on good or up detail)? and what is missing from the bundle that i have to get? i seen it doesn't
have a graphics card so also any help on finding a nice cheap one? thanks for any help :) sorry im such a noob at detailed pc stuff :S

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

is this a good upgrade from what i have?

Ummm - it usually helps if we don't have to guess what you have first. :)

That motherboard has integrated graphics. You still need an OS, a way to install it (DVD player), keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers.

It is important to note that game makers know most users cannot afford monster game machines. So they make their games so they "play" well even on lessor machines - but with fewer fancy features or enhanced graphics. That said, for more serious game play, you would need a decent (not cheap) graphics card, and since they don't talk about the PSU, other than saying it is 400w, I would upgrade it with something better suited, and from a reputable maker.

mrkenny7

mrkenny7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
haha sorry, when i created the account it asked or specs so i thought it was something everybody could click and see :S haha but lets just say it's bad. i already have the other stuff(monitor, win7 disk, keyboard etc.) i just wanted some outsiders input(more of an experts advice) to what i can do to make this run and run good!! but thanks for your help :) any additional input before i way in favor of this?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

haha sorry, when i created the account it asked or specs so i thought it was something everybody could click and see

We cannot go by those specs because many people have more than one computer, or may be asking for help with a friends or neighbors computer. So in order to prevent us from giving the wrong advice, we cannot assume the computer listed is the one that is bad. Actually, that is why that system specs was moved to our profile pages, and is not displayed under our user names, as often seen at other sites.

Note that a Windows OEM license that came with or was bought for another computer (or motherboard) can NOT be transferred to a new computer.

what i can do to make this run and run good!!

Throw more money in it. RAM, graphics and the CPU are the key players that define performance - and of course, a good PSU to power them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to your specs you have a Gateway System Model: M-6843
This would indicate your Win7 came with this system. If it did then it is specifically designed for the Gateway and will not work correctly installed on a custom built system.
If so what Digerati just pointed out is true. You can't use that to install on a new system since it is Married to the original system and is non-transferable according to Microsoft's EULA.

mrkenny7

mrkenny7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
my laptop came with vista, i bought win7 when it came out :) and i only installed it to one pc so far(i think its like 3 pc installs per disk or something?)but just simply put, if i bought this kit what would i need to buy with it to make it run from day one? graphics card and a PSU? i think 4gb of ram should run well enough until i can get another 4gb stick.

mrkenny7

mrkenny7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
is the motherboard a good buy? can i work with it to make a gaming computer?

Edited by mrkenny7, 22 July 2011 - 10:36 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

is the motherboard a good buy? can i work with it to make a gaming computer?

It's an entry level motherboard. There is not much you can, or should do. Not sure what you mean by "work with it" but as I already answered, equipping it with a decent amount of RAM, a good graphics solution and a decent CPU, then power it with a good PSU, is still what is needed for good performance. If you are suggesting overclocking, I would advise against it. Overclocking adds stress to everything, including cooling requirements and in this price range, there was little effort, or investment into designing in any overhead. In fact, in looking at the specs of that case it looks like it supports many fan options, but includes no fans. If so, then you may have to underclock to keep it cool until you establish adequate front-to-back air flow through the case.

I am not a fan of barebones systems, unless it will be used for "office" work - which is certainly what they are geared for. I think you should go find the complete system you want, then buy it - or at least compare and see what you need to do to get the barebones up to that level. Or better yet, skip any sort of pre-built and roll your own. The reality is, it makes no sense to me to attempt to convert an entry level barebones into a gaming machine.

But understand that "serious", 3D animated gaming is one of the most demanding tasks we can ask of our computers. A "serious" gaming rig has a fast motherboard, fast RAM and lots of it, a fast CPU, and a fast and powerful graphics solution that cost more (often several times more) than your budget is allowing for your entire system, and it has a quality PSU and quality case to house them. Faster typically costs more - not just in computing.

MSI makes good, reliable motherboards. That one is an entry level one.