Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS G51V (BestBuy) Battery Problem

• Please log in to reply

bothers355

bothers355

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Two years ago, I bought the ASUS G51V gaming laptop from BestBuy, which came with Windows Vista. I have since upgraded to Windows 7 and done one or two system restores. For the first year or so that I had the laptop, the battery life began to deteriorate very quickly, to the point where 100% would last about 5 minutes before immediately shutting off - no hibernation, no nothing. The power would just cut off. Since then, I've been running it off of AC power.

I'm about to go off to college, and need to be able to use my laptop without having to plug it in. I ordered a new battery for it, and just got it in the mail today. I put it in with the laptop on, and my laptop identified it, saying it was at 74% charge, and charging.

Posted Image

But as soon as I unplugged my laptop from AC power, it shut off. I left it plugged in for a while, restarted it, gave the battery a few minutes to charge, and looked at the battery life only to see it was still at 74%. I tried doing a battery calibration through the BIOS, but I don't see any "Power Options" in it, and though I have the files to do so, I don't know how to update my BIOS and don't want to rick messing anything up, especially since I'm not sure it will even fix the problem. Can anyone help me with this?

Advertisements