Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Short Beeps and Nothing on Display

• Please log in to reply

ganesha1008

ganesha1008

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi!
Not to long ago I changed the virtual memory settings to 9 GB when I had 6 GB of RAM 2 days before my computer crashed. Now my computer beeps (2 short beeps continuously) and my monitor stays at a blank, black screen whenever I try to start it. I've tried reseating my RAM and taking my graphics card out and the same beeping pattern continues. So I bought 8 GB of RAM with the same speed from crucial.com and it still has the same beeping code. Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
HP Pavilion p6210y PC
Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet) motherboard
AMD Athlon II x 4 620 Processor
8 GB PC-2 6400MB/sec RAM
Integrated nVidia GeForce 9100 graphics card
nVidia GeForce GTS 250 graphics card (when plugged-in)
640 GB HD
500W PSU

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am finding all sorts of information on this, but no solution. See http://h20000.www2.h...jectID=bph07107

If me, since you have removed the graphics card and (I assume) used the on-board graphics and still get the beeps, I would pull all but one stick of RAM and try with that - swapping out stick as necessary. I would swap in a spare PSU too, just to rule bad power out.

ganesha1008

ganesha1008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can swap in my old PSU 300W. Would that work.

ganesha1008

ganesha1008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for your suggestion Digerati. I'm researching the best I can to save money. I swapped my old PSU 300W and just left 1 memory stick in each different slot and started my computer 4 different times, I still get the same beeps however.

I also did something completely different because I think it could be my Hard Drive since I changed the virtual settings from 6GB to 9GB? Could it be my hard drive. What I also noticed is that it had the same beeping code when I unplugged the small, red-ribboned like SATA cable to my hard-drive.

Another suggestion I was wondering, what if I resetted the CMOS? Would that do any damage to my computer, since it could be my motherboard?

Again, thank you so much for your insight.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You could certainly reset the BIOS. Check your manual for the preferred method. If not listed, power down and unplug from the wall. Open side panel, touch bare metal of the case to discharge any static in your body, then carefully remove the CMOS battery - noting the polarity first. I generally recommend just replacing them at this point. Most battery/watch/camera counters have replacements (typically CR2032 wafer batteries), and they are inexpensive so the loss is minimal if it does not fix anything. Take the old with you as most counters recycle. Do NOT touch the new battery with bare skin as skin oils attract dust, and promote corrosion. I put a clean sock over my hand.

After replacing the battery and ensuring all cables are securely fastened and the interior is clean, boot the computer directly into the BIOS Setup Menu. Check/reset the date and time, and ensure your drives are all detected, then "Save" and Exit to boot normally.

If you unplugged the drive and it still beeps, it would not be the drive.

ganesha1008

ganesha1008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ordered some no-clean, lead-free flux and thermal compound just in case it's one of the chips that overheated. I have little experience with this with my XBOX when the processors overheated. I then just heatgun the entire motherboard to melt the soldering joints back into place. Could this be the problem with my computer?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not likely. In fact, since motherboards are typically coated with resin to seal the board to minimize moisture and other contaminants from forming corrosion, I think firing a heat gun at the motherboard is a bad idea. That type fix is more legend than reality - and a last ditch effort regardless.

I don't really know what you mean by "in case one of the chips is overheated". There is a technique to soldering heat sensitive devices and it does not involve heat guns.

As far as TIM - thermal interface material - it does not "go" bad, as long as the cured bond is not broken. So, (1) if the TIM was properly applied in the first place and (2) the bond was never broken, then applying new TIM would not yield significant results.

But if you feel the TIM may not have been applied properly in the first, place see my sticky, TIM.

ganesha1008

ganesha1008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Unfortunately, I've resetted the BIOS and I still get the same beeps. I'll have get my computer serviced when I have time. Thank you so much for your time and insight. I've learned something new about my computer.

But if I could ask one last question? What causes most motherboards to go wrong?

Edited by ganesha1008, 25 July 2011 - 04:08 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

What causes most motherboards to go wrong?

Time
Heat
Physical abuse
Electrical abuse
Impurity in raw materials
Manufacturing defect

Let's not forget there are several 100 devices mounted on a motherboard and any one of them could fail prematurely.

ganesha1008

ganesha1008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP