Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps droping internet connection

• Please log in to reply

meditationguru

meditationguru

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My wife's PC drops its internet connection after an hour or two have passed. There are no warnings or windows to give any hint of why this is happening. The internet is restored upon rebooting.

I recently went through a reinstall of Windows XP (sp3). This desktop computer is wireless and linked to my PC which is connected via FIOS to the web.

She is using a Linksys Wireless G PCI adapter which indicates that the signal is very strong, whether connected to the internet or not.

Could anyone give me some instructions as to how to track down this problem?

Details: AMD Athlon 64 3500 2200 MHZ , 2x nVidia 7800 GTX video, 2048 meg memory, ASUS A8N-SLI mb

Edited by meditationguru, 23 July 2011 - 11:03 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Is the computer left running with no programs running so it goes into sleep mode? that may stop the networking. If you put a network icon in the taskbar notification area can you click on it and restart the network connection? Check in your network setting to see if you have it where it times out anytime. This can also be caused by your internet provider that they drop the connection if it is not used for a while (most providers don't do this but i did find one in my area that still does this).

SRX660

meditationguru

meditationguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Is the computer left running with no programs running so it goes into sleep mode? that may stop the networking. If you put a network icon in the taskbar notification area can you click on it and restart the network connection? Check in your network setting to see if you have it where it times out anytime. This can also be caused by your internet provider that they drop the connection if it is not used for a while (most providers don't do this but i did find one in my area that still does this).

SRX660

It goes into sleep mode within 5 min. That does not stop the networking. The network connection in the task bar always shows a strong connection to the modem. Is there another network connection you're referring to? If so, how do I access it?

The internet provider is Verizon and does not drop the line. My main PC never has a connection problem and has the same OS as my wife's PC. The only difference between the two is the wireless connection on her's.