Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hmm... I tried that I didn't seem to work for me. I'll give it another try (now that I'm fully updated) and see how it goes.

I just started thinking, if its not the RAM could it be the process which 'empties' the RAM crashing maybe?

Advertisements

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Since turning off that service my PC has rebooted twice. The reboots are less frequent but still occur. The Event Viewer does not report the wuaueng.dll and wuauclt after each reboot. This is probably because I do not have those services set to auto. I'm beginning to question whether they are related to the issue now

I am running out of ideas on what to do. Do you know the service name that 'empties' the RAM?

I've never been able to replicate this issue faster than 2 hours. Something must be running and finally gives out to cause these reboots.

Edited by archtech, 09 June 2005 - 10:59 AM.

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It could maybe be the 'system idle process'.

I've also come to the conclusion that its not related wuaueng.dll and wuauclt, but maybe, when they run it causes the RAM to need to be 'cleaned out'? Which in turn makes us see that at the time of crash...

Of course, I'm proberly completely off track...

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This problem is on my work pc. For a test, I'm going to leave my PC run over the weekend but unplug the network cable. I'd like to eliminate the variable of the internet as the problem.

When troubleshooting, it's hard to be off base but this problem is really starting to irk me.

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

This problem is on my work pc.  For a test, I'm going to leave my PC run over the weekend but unplug the network cable.  I'd like to eliminate the variable of the internet as the problem. 

I'd be interested in the results, I was going to test this but I seemed to have forgotton to do so...

jdconnolly1

jdconnolly1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Argh, It didn't work, the random crash still occurs...

All I've been able to work out is that it only seems to occur when my Internet connection is idle, like when I'm reading a website or just listening to music. I recently started to use Microsoft Outlook Express, I think I started using it about the same time the crashes started to occur. Could it be conflicting somehow?

Thanks for your time.

View Post

I am having the same problem and I have SP2 I have a ticket into MS that is 2 weeks old. Mine crashed wshen I try to play any online game. If I ever get a fix from MS I will let you know.

Joe

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Joe, it's much appreciated.

I'm starting my non internet connection experiment now. We'll see what happens over the weekend

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
How did it go? Any crashes... I think I'll email microsoft tomorow...

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I didn't have any reboots the whole weekend with the LAN network cable unplugged. It must be some type of internet or IP issue.

I have netpeaker installed on my PC but haven't been running it. I'll run it today and turn the log file on. Hopefully this will shine some light on the issue.

kelkins

kelkins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Considering this is a work PC it probably uses a proxy server for the Internet. Has anyone tried proxycfg to see if the configuration is working for the updates???

Edited by kelkins, 13 June 2005 - 07:59 AM.

Advertisements

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Negative on the proxy server, we don't use one here. Plus all other 250+ users are getting thier updates through our SUS server.

No reboots yet, but I will get one soon. It's bananas

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
My network card is SURECOM EP-320X-R 100/10/M PCI Adapter

My router is a D-link DI-704P

Any matches? I'll try a driver reinstall on the network card but I doubt it will work...

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet card and I don't know the model of our Cisco switch.

My guess it is a patch we need to download that hasn't been released yet. I'm blaming Microsoft for now.

The log file from netpeaker doesn't tell me much, I'm still sorting it out.

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Argh, it seems to be getting rediculously worse, had to boot about 10 times just to get here.

I'm going to borrow a friends spare network card to see if thats the problem.

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just disable my network adapter before I leave for the day. At most I get 2 reboots during the day, then my turrets kicks in.