Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Failed To Start

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi Folks.

I sold my previous HP Laptop tp a friend and about 8-9 months later there are problems. Everything was running so slowly, I tried virus and spyware scans but to no avail, it was still taking over 5 minutes to open.

Got my nephew to reformat the HD (he works in IT, but has gone back after the weekend now!). We had the original Windows 7 disk, so used that.

All went well last night at first.Then I downloaded MSE, Adobe, and Flash, also Firefox and Superantispyware. All was going well, very fast. Turned on this morning and it wont load!

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software....(screen disappeared b4 i had chance to take notes)"

Then it loaded Startup Repair, and went through the process. It will go no further even after shutting down and restarting.

Get a message I dont understand:

6.1.7600.16385. unknown, -1, AutoFailer, 2, Corrupt Registry. 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 then when I go to advanced, a load of messages I dont understand, and finally, Root cause Registry Corrupt. Get the same thing every time!!!

Could it be the Hard Drive?

After searching the forum here I found similar problems but not after a reformat! Also I noticed the full text of the message mentioned above, and note that 1 option was to put in the Disc and turn on. Havent done that. If that is your advice I will wait till he is home again!

Any ideas or opinions?

thanks

h

Advertisements