Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TFC Use Causing Windows 7 to crash

• Please log in to reply

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have been using TFC on Win 7 for several months with no problem but the last couple of times I have used it, I have received this message. "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now." I have also noticed that the desktop icons do not disappear like they do when I use TFC on my laptop with Windows Vista. What could be causing this problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you receiving just a error message or is the system blue screening?

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No blue screen, just a forced reboot. Here is what I get when I go to the event viewer. I will now download Who Crashed and post the results in my next reply.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-07-26T15:55:23.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5999

Channel Application

Computer MININT-CJA10NN

Security

- EventData

lsm.exe
4a5bce9c
ntdll.dll
4cc7b325
c0000005
000000000001aada
01cc4b9b3f94dc3f
C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ab630962-b79f-11e0-bebb-00038a000015

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Here is the who crashed analysis.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 7/17/2011 6:38:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071711-11076-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athrxusb.sys (athrxusb+0x102750)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001693CC0, 0xFFFFF880084BF1E8, 0xFFFFF880084BEA50)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\athrxusb.sys
product: Driver for Atheros Wireless USB Network Adapter
company: Atheros Communications, Inc.
description: Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: athrxusb.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: athrxusb.sys Atheros Communications, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 7/17/2011 6:38:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athrxusb.sys (athrxusb+0x7388A)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001693CC0, 0xFFFFF880084BF1E8, 0xFFFFF880084BEA50)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: athrxusb.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: athrxusb.sys Atheros Communications, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Sat 4/30/2011 2:07:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042911-13509-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athrxusb.sys (athrxusb+0x102750)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880016C2CC0, 0xFFFFF88002DF51E8, 0xFFFFF88002DF4A50)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
Google query: athrxusb.sys Atheros Communications, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your network adapter is causing the error.
First are you using the newest driver for your OS
Is it 32 bit or 64 bit version OS and is the driver the correct bit driver?
To be exact this is the driver you need to check on.
Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Check your motherboard manufacturer for the correct driver, OS and bit version to make sure it is compatible.

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am using the 64 bit version of Win 7 and I downloaded and reinstalled the driver, even though it appears to be the same version that I already had. Better safe than sorry! I noticed that despite the fact that I got a message saying there was a critical error, there was nothing in the who crashed report indicating a crash. Did the information from the event viewer indicate what the issue was? I'm going to run TFC again with the updated driver and see if it still causes the same error message to pop up. Thank you for all your help thus far!

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried TFC again, and the same thing keeps occuring. The running processes do not stop, nor does my desktop disappear, but shortly after starting the program the same error pops up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try deleting TFC and downloading it again from HERE
This is the direct link here on GTG for the program.